Last week packed up our mini-van and drove to Illinois to visit my family. Josh helped my dad with a home renovation project while I spent most of my time in the kitchen. I was much more useful in the kitchen. I don’t do so well with sheetrock, sanding, and painting. I don’t think the guys minded because every time they came into the kitchen they had something yummy to sample.
One night, we had family and friends over for a soup and chili party. I made Vegetable Lime Chickpea Chili from our good friend Jenny’s new cookbook, The Picky Palate Cookbook. When I saw this chili recipe in Jenny’s book, I immediately bookmarked it. I love a chili that is packed with vegetables. Plus, this recipe has chickpeas, cilantro, and lime-all of my favorites.
This chili can be made in about 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for a weeknight meal. All of the ingredients get tossed into one large pot so there isn’t a lot of clean-up. I also love this recipe because it is vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian-which makes it perfect for serving a crowd. And if you are a meat lover, I promise you won’t miss the meat. This chili is full of flavor and very satisfying. And the kiddos will love all of the colorful vegetables. Caleb devoured his bowl of chili.
Everyone at the party loved the Vegetable Lime Chickpea Chili. It was actually the first thing to go! We are going to make this chili all winter long. It’s already a family favorite. Thanks Jenny for the fabulous recipe!
Make sure you check out Jenny’s new book, The Picky Palate Cookbook. It is filled with over 100 delicious family friendly recipes-starting with breakfast and ending with dessert. Almost all of the recipes can be made with ingredients you already have in your kitchen. We started bookmarking recipes in the book, but stopped because we were bookmarking them all! We can’t wait to cook, bake, and eat our way through The Picky Palate Cookbook. We love Jenny’s simple and creative style. Her recipes are easy to follow and a hit every time! Congratulations Jenny! We are loving the book!
The giveaway is now closed. The winners are Dina (#111), Erica (#39), and Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom (#370). Congratulations! Thanks to everyone who entered.
To enter to win a copy of The Picky Palate Cookbook, leave a comment on this post, telling us what your favorite weeknight meal. There will be THREE winners!
The giveaway is open until Friday, November 16th at 11:59 p.m. MST. The giveaway is only open to USA residents. Be sure a valid email address is included with your comment(s). Winner will be chosen randomly and announced on this post. We will email the winner and if the winner doesn’t respond in 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. Good luck!
Vegetable Lime Chickpea Chili
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- 6 -8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped mini sweet peppers
- 1 8- ounce package baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 15- ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 28- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet peppers, and baby bells and cook, stirring, until tender, 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, broth, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper, stir to combine and cook until hot, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until ready to serve.
Disclosure: The Picky Palate Cookbook giveaway is being provided by Wiley & Sons. All opinions shared are our own.