Utah is still cold with snow on the ground. Sure, it is pretty, but come on, it is March. I am sooo ready for Spring! We have had a couple of nice “teaser” days, but the snow always comes back to haunt me. I just want Mr. Sun to stick around!
Since the weather isn’t cooperating, I turned to the kitchen for some help. I made my favorite spring time dish, Whole Wheat Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Roasted Asparagus. The flavors are light and fresh and make me think of sunny days.
I used whole wheat spaghetti, but any pasta will do. The sauce is really easy. I saute garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, and fresh spinach in olive oil and toss them with the warm pasta. To finish off the dish, I add lemon zest and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the pasta and mix. I love the refreshing and powerful flavor the lemon gives.
I served roasted asparagus on the side, I found it on sale for 88 cents a pound, yahoo! I didn’t do anything fancy, just a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh lemon juice. I finished everything off with a bit of Parmesan cheese. This was the perfect meal to chase away the winter blues.
Whole wheat pasta (any variety will work)
½ onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch of fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
Red pepper flakes, just a quick shake
Salt and Pepper
Zest and juice of one large lemon
1.Bring a big pot of water to boil. Add salt and cook pasta until al dente.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan. Add onions and cook until tender. Add garlic and red pepper flakes.
3. Add spinach and cook until it has cooked down. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Drain the pasta and pour it into a large serving bowl.
5. Toss the pasta with the spinach mixture.
6. Add lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
7. Top with fresh Parmesan cheese.
For the Asparagus:
1 bunch of fresh asparagus
Salt and pepper
Fresh lemon juice
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim the ends of the asparagus and place on a large baking sheet, lined with foil.
3. Drizzle asparagus lightly with olive oil.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Roast for 10-15 minutes in the oven. Stir them at least once.
6. Remove from oven and squeeze fresh lemon juice over the spears.
7. Serve with pasta dish above.