Whole Wheat Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies-the toasted oats and whole wheat flour add a slight nutty flavor to these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They are a favorite at our house!
People always want to know what my favorite cookie is. I can never answer that question. It stumps me every time. We have close to 200 cookie recipes on my site and I love them all. I can’t imagine picking a favorite. I try to narrow it down and usually say a cookie with oatmeal. I have several favorite oatmeal cookie recipes so it really isn’t picking a favorite, but close enough:) I just love the texture and flavor oatmeal adds to cookies.
My new favorite cookie, for the moment, it will change tomorrow, is my Whole Wheat Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Again, I love oatmeal in my cookies and the toasted oatmeal makes these cookies extra special.
The secret to these cookies is toasting the oatmeal before stirring it into the cookie batter. To toast the oats, I spread the oats on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until the oats are slightly golden and have a nutty aroma. I let the oats cool while I whip up the cookie dough.
To enhance the toasted flavor, I also use white whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour gives the cookies a little nutty texture that goes great with the toasted oats.
The chocolate chips are the finishing touch to my Whole Wheat Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Chocolate is always a good idea! I love biting into my cookie and getting a burst of chocolate. These cookies have it all!
If you are searching for your favorite cookie recipe, give my Whole Wheat Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies a try! Maybe they will be your favorite? They are my favorite…for today anyways:)
Whole Wheat Toasted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
The toasted oats and whole wheat flour add a nice flavor to these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! They are great with a cold glass of milk!
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- 18 cookies
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups Gold Medal white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Spread the oats evenly on an ungreased baking sheet. Place in the oven for 7-10 minutes, stirring once.The oats will turn light brown and have a nutty aroma. Remove from oven and let cool.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in the toasted oats and chocolate chips.
5. Roll cookie dough into tablespoon size balls and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for two minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.