Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffin Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com

Hopefully, most of you have the day off and are still in your pajamas. Put the box of cereal and milk away, because you deserve a special breakfast on your day off. These Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are calling your name. And if you have kiddos, I am sure they will love helping you make muffins for breakfast. I promise they are easy to make and will fill your house with a pleasant cinnamon aroma that will wake up anyone that is sleeping in.

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffin Recipe on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe

These muffins are made with whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use all all-purpose flour, but I like the wholesomeness the whole wheat flour adds. The muffins are filled with chunks of tart Granny Smith apples and have a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. The muffins whip up in no time, you don’t even have to get out the mixer. Just use your muscles to mix up these muffins up. Bonus-you are getting a mini workout by stirring the muffins so you can eat more:)

If you are looking for a special breakfast treat to enjoy on your day off, make these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins. They are perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or a chilled glass of milk. And if you slept in and missed breakfast-good for you. You can still make these muffins because they are good anytime of the day.

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins on twopeasandtheirpod.com #recipe

Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

Yield: 12 regular size muffins

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Spiced apple muffins with a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. These muffins are easy to make and are great for breakfast or snack time.

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups diced peeled apples (I use Granny Smith)

For the Topping:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Add in the apples and stir until just combined.

3. To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until crumbly.

3. Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with crumb topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.

If you like these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

99 Responses to “Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins”

1. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins | The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie

2. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins

3. Desiree — October 29, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

Made these for my coworkers and they were gone by 9am!!! Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

4. Pingback: in season: 48 apple recipes | Café Zupas

5. Heather — November 5, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing this recipe. I didn’t have buttermilk on hand so used almond milk and some lemon juice but they still turned out wonderfully. My husband and I were eating them warm out of the oven and about fell over with delight. :) I’ll be making these very often. Thanks again!!!!

6. Nat — November 21, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

I made this with water instead of buttermilk, and peanut oil instead of canola, and I also used 3 apples (to hell with measuring). 1 granny smith, 1 golden delicious, and 1 mack.
    I totally botched the crumble, but, it’s all good. the gooey sugar mess on top turned out pretty good.

Also, this made WAAAY more than 12 muffins for me. I put the excess in a small casserole and made a mini loaf out of it. All in all, Great success! Thanks!

7. diane — January 10, 2013 @ 11:36 am

I made these in November and we absolutely LOVED them. Second batch in the oven as I type this. :) I didn’t have whole wheat flour and had been meaning to try the almond flour I had in the pantry, so I used 3/4 c. almond flour and the rest all-purpose. Also, my kids don’t like pieces of anything in their muffins so I grated the apples (squeezed out excess moisture). One of my favorite all time muffins. Thanks so much for the recipe!

8. diane — January 10, 2013 @ 11:38 am

I meant to say almond meal, not flour, in my post above.

9. Cami — February 20, 2013 @ 12:22 am

Just gotta mention that these turned out great. I substituted coconut oil for the canola, and as I only had one apple (which made up 1 cup diced), I substituted 1 cup of applesauce for the rest. Also, made up my own buttermilk using vinegar and milk. I cooked them up in mini muffin tins which took about 8 min and it made up about 4.5 dozen mini muffins, perfect to throw into the freezer and thaw out for kids snacks. thanks for this delicious and healthy recipe!

10. Two Peas — February 20, 2013 @ 11:10 am

Glad you enjoyed the muffins!

11. Pingback: {InstaFriday} for reals …

12. Pingback: QUICK & EASY Breakfast Ideas for the Weekdays

13. Pingback: Recipes for Apple Season

14. Pingback: Ultimate Apple Recipe Round-Up - Yellow Bliss Road

15. muscular but — November 25, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

I read this paragraph completely about the comparison of
    newest and preceding technologies, it’s awesome article.

16. Alyssa — January 11, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

I just made these last night and they’re delicious! My father, who isn’t the biggest fan of my baking, gave them a nine! I don’t think I’ve ever had a recipe look and taste exactly as described. Very moist and flavorful. I will definitely be making these again soon. Thank you so much!

17. Pingback: 10 Apple Recipes for Fall | Zupas

18. Wendy — October 5, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

Moist and delicious. Better the next day. Recipe is a keeper.

19. Two Peas — October 6, 2014 @ 9:44 am

Glad you liked the muffins!