Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce

We love making homemade pizza. Josh always makes the pizza dough, while I make the sauce. Well, last week I was craving pizza for lunch, big time! I was tempted to call my “dough boy” home from work so he could whip up some pizza dough, but I decided I should probably let him work:) I was busy with Caleb and didn’t have time to make pizza dough from scratch, so I took the easy route and used pita bread to create an Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce. The pita bread made a great pizza crust. I created a tasty pizza in a matter of minutes.

If you think putting avocado slices on a pizza is weird, think again. They make the BEST pizza topping. You really can’t go wrong with avocado in any form, in my opinion:) And I am in avocado heaven right now because we received a big box of avocados from California Avocados Direct. They are amazing! California Avocados Direct, a “Farm to Table” business, ships freshly picked avocados all over the United States. The avocados are beautiful, make a great gift, and were certainly delicious on this pizza! Oh, and we gave Caleb his first taste of avocado and he loved it! Mama is so proud he loves avocado:)

The sauce is made with cilantro, garlic, fresh lime juice, jalapeño, green onion, olive oil, salt. It is simple to make and is full of flavor. I spread the sauce on whole wheat pita bread and topped the pizza with shredded mozzarella cheese. I popped the pizza in the oven and baked it for about 10 minutes. I topped the hot and bubble cheesy pita pizza with freshly sliced avocados. I sprinkled the avocados with salt and dug right in.

The cilantro sauce was the perfect base for the pizza. The sauce went beautifully with the cheese and creamy avocados. I loved the whole wheat pita crust too. Using pita bread was the perfect solution to cure my pizza craving. This Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce is almost too easy to make. So easy, I might have to make it every day! I have been craving it ever since my first bite! Give it a try!

And now for some exciting book news! We are now offering a printed version of Cookie Cravings! Yay! You can purchase a printed copy of Cookie Cravings through Blurb. So if you want to take a hard copy of Cookie Cravings into the kitchen with you, purchase a copy today! I hope to see vanilla and chocolate stains on those pages:) Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and Cookie Cravings would make a great gift for any mom! Maybe bake mom a batch of cookies to go with the book-you will get bonus points:) Enter the code BEAMAZING at checkout and get 15% off until May 31, 2012. Happy baking friends!

Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce

Yield: 2 pita pizzas

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Pita bread topped with cilantro sauce, cheese, and avocado slices! This pita pizza is easy and great for lunch or dinner.

To make the Cilantro Sauce:

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
1 tablespoon minced and seeded jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the pizza:

2 pieces whole wheat pita bread
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2. To make the cilantro sauce: In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, green onion, and lime juice. Pulse until combined and roughly chopped. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Divide the sauce and spread evenly on pita bread pieces. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place pita pizzas on a large baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven. Top pizzas with avocado slices. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into pieces and serve warm.

If you like this Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce, you might also like:

93 Responses to “Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce”

Marla Meridith — April 23, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

Maria, I love this combo! The cilantro pesto sauce is a great twist.

Kristina Vanni — April 23, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

This looks so easy and delicious! Congrats on you cookbook!

This looks amazing. I have never had pesto with a cilantro before. Great pairing with the avocados!

I have some leftover pitas and avocados just begging to be used for this recipe! Lovely idea, Maria. Thanks for sharing.

amanda @ fake ginger — April 23, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Love this so much! Cilantro and avocado are two of my favorites – it’s like guacamole on pita bread! YUM!

Karly — April 23, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I totally read that as Avocado PIT pizza and I was so confused.

Lynna H. — April 23, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

Ahh, i love avocados on pizza! similar to the california club at CPK. LOVE it.

8. Pingback: Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce | Pita Pizza Recipe | Two … « healthy pizza recipes

Awesome summer meal!! I can’t get enough avocado!

Tracey — April 23, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

What a fun idea Maria – such a cute little pizza!! I’m not an avocado fan, but I’m thinking caramelized onions would be delicious :)

Dana — April 23, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

I once had avocado on pizza in an Italian restaurant and thought it was genius! I love what you did here, so imaginative!

Cookie and Kate — April 23, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Today must be avocado day in blogland! This pizza looks amazing, Maria. Cilantro sauce, yum!

Joanne — April 23, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I’m kind of a sucker for any pizza with green toppings, ESPECIALLY avocado! This is a genius move!

Annette — April 23, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Wow! This was fantastic. Delicious and an easy Monday night dinner. Thanks

Deborah — April 23, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

Love this!!

Krista — April 24, 2012 @ 12:09 am

Yum!! I have been contemplating throwing some avocados on a pizza since January but wasn’t sure how to pull it off. You did it! What a great pizza!

Diane {Created by Diane} — April 24, 2012 @ 12:51 am

looks wonderful I LOVE avocados and cilantro!

vanillasugarblog — April 24, 2012 @ 10:28 am

i can never get enough avocados! love them on pizza!

me and my pizza phase, this would be perfect!

Becs @ Lay the table — April 24, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

Excellent idea to use pitta – definitely got to make this one!

Jessica @ How Sweet — April 24, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

guess what i had for lunch today??? ;) SO DELISH!

Kimberley — April 24, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

Ah-mazing! I have never thought to pair these two heavenly things outside the context of guacamole or tacos. Great call!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — April 25, 2012 @ 5:56 am

That pita pizza is looking good and I am liking that spicy cilantro sauce!

Anna@Tallgrasskitchen — April 26, 2012 @ 12:15 am

This recipe sounds great, although every time I read the title quickly in my Google reader, I read it as “Avocado Pit Pizza”, and it makes me laugh.

Lea — April 28, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Wonderful!!! LOOOOVE avocados – definitely putting it on pizza soon ;)

Love the sound of that sauce and using pitas. And, of course, the avocados!!

gina @ skinnytaste — April 28, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

Maria, that looks so good!! Can’t wait to see you next week!

The Healthy Apple — April 30, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

Ahhh; my favorite food; Avocado! This looks beautiful. I am thrilled to meet you both this week at the Dole Summit in Cali; safe Travels!

29. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Recipes

30. Pingback: Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce « Adventures of an Ottawa Foodie

Ann P. — May 6, 2012 @ 6:45 pm

PItas make the perfect pizza dough substitute, why didn’t i think of that before! Ingenius, maria, ingenius. :) And i am ALL for avocado on pizza! yum!

32. Pingback: On the Menu for the Week of June 10th | Simply My Kitchen

33. Pingback: Cilantro | Groundswell Cooking

Jacklyn — August 8, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Looks delish! Can’t want to try. Have you ever tried cauliflower crust? http://pinterest.com/pin/125186064612829803/

Cassie — August 19, 2012 @ 11:46 pm

Such a great recipe! I made this tonight and it was delicious. I subbed a salty farmers cheese from a local Middle Eastern grocery store for the Mozzarella and it worked really well. Thank you for this!

Caddie — September 28, 2012 @ 8:58 am

You’re right – avo is GORGEOUS on pizza, its my favourite and I have bacon and avo pizza every time we order! just as good on wholewheat pita :)

Priya — October 1, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Hey I made this pizza yest.night and it was delicious…I added some shallots before it went into the oven and also added some salsa along with avocados…was too good..thanks for the recipe!! :)

pau — October 21, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

So goooddd!! I just made this..I didn’t have any green onion so I skipped it but I added sour cream (1 tablespoon) and it was delishh!!
    Thanks for sharing!

39. Pingback: 75 Healthy Recipes to Kick Off 2013 | Healthy Recipes | Two Peas & Their Pod

40. Pingback: Avocado Pita Pizza | Wild Macaroni