Cherry Almond Cake
Last week we had our friends over for dinner. Josh made Grilled Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin and I was in charge of dessert. I love being in charge, especially when dessert is involved:) I was tempted to bake cookies because you can never go wrong with cookies, but I decided to mix things up. We bought a big bag of cherries from the market so I made a Cherry Almond Cake.
I love fresh cherries, minus the pits. You would think with all of the cooking and baking we do we would own a cherry pitter. Nope! I think it is the one gadget we don’t have. So my hands got nice and red while making this cake. Oh well, it was worth it, but buying a cherry pitter is on my to do list:)
The buttermilk cake is tender with juicy cherries and an almond streusel topping. I also added an almond glaze and toasted almonds to finish off the cake. The cake is pretty to serve and delicious to eat. I was very pleased with my cake and so were our guests.
This Cherry Almond Cake makes a great dessert, but I can also see myself serving and eating it for breakfast or brunch. Cake in the morning is always a good idea:) Go find some fresh cherries…and a cherry pitter and make this Cherry Almond Cake.
Cherry Almond Cake
Yield: Serves 8-10
Cook Time: 50-55 minutes
A tender buttermilk cake with fresh cherries, an almond streusel topping and sweet almond glaze.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
To make the Almond Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup almond paste, crumbled
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Pinch of salt
To make the Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix until combined.
4. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Arrange cherries on top of batter.
5. To make the almond streusel topping-in a small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, almond paste, butter, and salt. Mix together with your fingers until crumbly. Top the cake with streusel topping.
6. Bake cake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 50-55 minutes. Let cool in pan. T
7. While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, almond extract, and just enough of the milk to make a pourable glaze. Drizzle over the cake and garnish with toasted almond slices, if using.
8. Cut the cake and serve.
Note-the cake will keep up to 2 days, stored in an air-tight container on the counter.
If you like this Cherry Almond Cake, you might also like:
- Cherry Cake Pudding from The Pioneer Woman
- Cherry-Vanilla Layer Cake from Sprinkles Bakes
- Almond and Cherry Upside Down Cake from Roost
- Chocolate Cherry Cake from Cookie and Kate