Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
On Saturday we did a lot of yard work. We planted rosemary, parsley, lemon verbena, basil, flowers, and a peach tree. Our yard is looking great! We were both exhausted by the end of the day though. Luckily, I woke up early on Saturday morning to bake a Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake. We were so busy working we forgot to take a break to have a slice. When we came in for the night, we were thrilled to see the coffee cake sitting on our kitchen table.
This sour cream coffee cake is light, fluffy, and has a tunnel of cinnamon and chocolate chips inside. The cake also gets topped with cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate chips. The cinnamon sugar topping makes the cake sparkle and gives the cake a nice crunchy top.
This chocolate chip coffee cake is really easy to make. We had all of the ingredients on hand. First, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Next, I cream together the butter and granulated sugar.
And the eggs, one at a time and mix until combined.
Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
Next, add half of the batter to the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate chips. Spread the remaining batter evenly over the filling and top with the rest of the cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate chips.
Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let the cake cool and serve!
This cake is great for breakfast, brunch, a sweet snack, or dessert. The chocolate and cinnamon combination is delightful. Coming in to a slice of chocolate chip coffee cake and a cold glass of milk was the perfect treat after a long day of yard work.
Don’t forget to enter our Green Valley Organics Giveaway. You have until tomorrow to enter! Good luck!
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Yield: 9-12 pieces of cake
Cook Time: 40 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
Cinnamon Sugar Topping/Filling:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beat until smooth. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. In a small bowl, make the cinnamon sugar topping/filling. Stir together sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar and half the chocolate chips. Spoon the remaining batter over the filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.
5. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve.
If you like this Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, you might also like:
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Muffins from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures
Banana Coffee Cake with Cinnamon-Chocolate Chip Streusel from Back to the Cutting Board
Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Coffee Cake from Mountain Mamma Cooks
Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod