Our baby must really like pancakes because I have been craving them lately. We have been making pancakes on a regular basis for breakfast and dinner. They taste good anytime of the day:) Josh always hopes I will ask for our decadent cinnamon streusel pancakes, but I like to save those for special occasions, not every day cravings:) We recently made Whole Wheat Kefir Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce for breakfast and we all loved them-baby included:)
I recently discovered Green Valley Organics Kefir and I am in love. It is a great source of calcium, protein, and has 10 live & active cultures. It is also gluten free and lactose free. It is made from 100% farm fresh organic milk from local Humane Certified dairy farms. I like to drink kefir for breakfast when I am in a hurry. The Blueberry Pom Acai flavor is amazing! I also like to add plain kefir to my smoothies.
I was curious to see if kefir would work in whole wheat pancakes, so we gave it a try. We substituted the buttermilk for kefir and it worked wonders. The pancakes were fluffy, hearty, and filling. We topped them with blueberry sauce and gobbled them up. These Whole Wheat Kefir Pancakes are delicious and nutritious.
If you are looking for a new pancake recipe that is good for you and still extremely tasty, try our Whole Wheat Kefir Pancakes. I know we will be making them again-the baby is already asking for them:)
We have a special Green Valley Organics giveaway today! Trust me, you want to enter, their products are amazing. I love their kefir, yogurt, and sour cream. For details and to enter, please read below.
For a chance to win an insulated grocery tote (approximate value $30), filled with a variety of Green Valley Organics lactose-free yogurt, sour cream, and kefir, please leave a comment on this post.
For additional entries, leave separate comments for each of the steps listed below.
1. Follow Green Valley Organics on Twitter. Leave a separate comment letting us know you are following.
2. “Like” Green Valley Organics on Facebook.Leave a separate comment letting us know you are a FB fan.
3. “Like” Two Peas and Their Pod on Facebook. Leave a separate comment letting us know you are a FB fan.
This giveaway will be open until Tuesday, June 7th at 8pm MST. The winner will be chosen using a random number generator. Please make sure you leave a valid email address so we can contact you if you win. Good Luck!
*Green Valley Organics is providing this giveaway, but our opinions are our own.
Whole Wheat Kefir Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup plain kefir plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blueberry Sauce:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 2. In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together kefir, canola oil, egg , and vanilla extract.
- 3. Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Stir gently with a spatula until combined. Don't over mix.
- 4. Heat a griddle pan or non stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour about ¼ of a cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle pan, spacing out the pancakes a few inches from each other. When the pancakes start to bubble up, flip and cook until pancakes are lightly browned.
- 5. To make the blueberry sauce:
- Cook blueberries, agave or honey, water, and corn starch on medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Serve warm over pancakes.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod