Chocolate Dutch Baby
Valentine’s Day is tomorrow and I think you should treat your sweetheart to a special breakfast in bed. Get out the breakfast tray, fine China, and make this Chocolate Dutch Baby. Oh-and don’t forget the fresh flowers and card. Ok, I know we are all busy, so if you don’t have time in the morning to serve breakfast in bed, I understand. It would be nice though, huh? You can still make this Chocolate Dutch Baby, even if your mornings are rushed because it only takes 25 minutes to make, from start to finish!
If you haven’t made a Dutch baby pancake before, don’t be intimidated. I promise, it is super easy. You mix the ingredients together in a blender and pour the batter into a buttered cast-iron skillet. If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet you can use a round cake pan. The pancake puffs up in the oven creating a fancy shmancy pancake. The chocolate aroma is sure to wake-up anyone that is sleeping in the house.
We dusted the Chocolate Dutch Baby with powdered sugar and topped it with sliced strawberries. This chocolate pancake doesn’t even need syrup, it is sweet enough on it’s own. It tastes similar to a piece of chocolate cake. A pancake that tastes like chocolate cake-I know, amazing, right? And it’s a pancake, so it perfectly acceptable to eat for breakfast.
If you make this Chocolate Dutch Baby for your sweetheart, family, or friends they will for sure be bragging about their Valentine’s Day breakfast all day long. Chocolate for breakfast is never a bad idea, especially on Valentine’s Day. And if you do have time to serve your sweetie breakfast in bed, do it. You will get double bonus points!
Chocolate Dutch Baby
Chocolate Dutch Baby pancake mixed in the blender and baked in the oven. This easy puffy, chocolate baked pancake is the perfect breakfast for Valentine’s Day.
Yield: Serves 8
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, for dusting
- Strawberries, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a blender, combine milk, eggs, flour, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and granulated sugar. Blend until well combined, about 1 minute.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, we used a 10 inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Pour batter into skillet and immediately transfer to oven. Bake until puffed and set, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with strawberries, if desired.
Note-if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, you can use a round cake pan.
Recipe from Everyday Food
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Chocolate Dutch Baby, you might also like: