Green Smoothie

Yesterday I did my usual Body Combat workout at Dash Fitness and came home and made one of my favorite post workout snacks-a Green Smoothie. I posted the photo on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and got several requests for the recipe. So today I am sharing my favorite Green Smoothie recipe. Some people call the Green Smoothie a Green Monster, but I like to refer to mine as the Green Goblin:)

If you haven’t tried a Green Smoothie before, don’t be afraid. I promise this smoothie is tasty. Don’t be frightened by the green color or the spinach. You can’t even taste the spinach. It blends right in with the other flavors, you won’t even know it is there. For my smoothie, I use an orange, half of a banana, 6 large strawberries, a few handfuls of spinach, Greek yogurt, and ice. I use plain Greek yogurt, it is my personal favorite, but any plain yogurt will do. I blend everything together in our Blendtec blender and it is ready in no time. This recipe makes 2 servings, so I put one in the freezer for later.

If you are trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, give this Green Smoothie a go. It is easy to make and is loaded with all kinds of good for you ingredients. I love sipping on a “Green Goblin” after my workouts. This smoothie is also great for breakfast or a healthy snack. Enjoy!

Green Smoothie

Yield: 2 servings

This simple Green Smoothie is a great way to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. I promise it is delicious and nutritious!

1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup ice

1. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

Note-I use our Blendtec Blender which is a very powerful machine. Make sure you use a powerful blender that will puree the orange, spinach, ice, etc. I like to store one serving of the smoothie in the freezer for later. Pour in an air-tight container and freeze. Make sure you take the smoothie out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to drink it. You can also store the smoothie in the refrigerator.

If you like this Green Smoothie, you might also like:

Yum Pin It

250 Responses to “Green Smoothie”

1. Pingback: 14 Scrumptious Smoothie Recipes

2. Pingback: Hidden Salad, Crouching Tiger | thegreatzambini's Blog

3. Caiti — January 14, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I just made this over the weekend and it was my FIRST green smoothie. I LOVED IT! My daughter is 22 months and she drank all of hers and then half of mine!! She calls it her “green drink” {pronouced – gween dwink} haha. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Pingback: Vitaminová bomba z mixéru | Blog web

5. Al Pilaski — January 18, 2013 @ 9:39 am

The Green Smoothie looks great! We may want to put it out to our students.
    Can you tell me the # oz./serving please?

Al Pilaski
    (405) 587-1034
    Director of Operations
    Child Nutrition Services
    Oklahoma City Public Schools
    EAT • LEARN • LIVE

6. Two Peas — January 18, 2013 @ 10:44 am

It’s about 16 ounces.

7. Naomi S. — January 20, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

I like a bit more flavor so, I added vanilla flavored yogurt instead of plain. Love this smoothie!

8. Ale. — January 26, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

I was wondering how many calories this has in it ?? I’m a breastfeeding mom trying to go healthy all the way but need to make sure I’m getting enough calories for my milk supply!

9. Two Peas — January 27, 2013 @ 10:12 am

I am not sure on the calories, sorry!

10. Pingback: ADOPTING HEALTHY HABITS | cindy-jo

11. Jody — February 1, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Tastes awesome!! Love it, definitely doing again. However…mine was not as pretty…bit browner…hrmmm.

12. Yen — February 7, 2013 @ 11:19 am

I made the smoothie today. super delicioso. I added kale into the smoothie for extra green.

13. Jane — February 9, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

Tried it and it was really good! My boyfriend liked it too and he’s super picky about everything!!! Totally saving this one. I just drank it after I made it though so it wasn’t like a cold thick icy smoothie consistency.. It was just like a chilled juice. Thanks for posting!!

14. Pingback: 45 Healthy Foods to Make and Never Buy Again ‹ Lifestyle Design

15. Nadinejune — February 16, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

no matter what its healthier than persay Mcy D’s!! :) Trying it now..thanks!! Seems to be the green smoothy of choice!!

16. Liz — February 16, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

Please will be going to the big city next week and want to buy a blender
    combination food processor, my blender is ready to give up the ghost. the
    Veggies and fruits are too much for it even if has metal blades.
    Any ideas on purchasing a good blender for veggie smoothies.
    I can’t afford a Vita-Mix, our budget
    couldn’t stand it. Any ideas out there. Liz

17. Stefania Delprete — February 18, 2013 @ 9:08 am

Thank you!

I’m a beginner on green smoothie and this is very helpful, I’ve just drunk two glasses of a banana-baby spinach-grapes!

Enjoy your day!

18. Samantha — February 24, 2013 @ 9:39 pm

Is this a good diet smoothie? How many calories is it?

19. Pingback: Make The Most Of It: 5 Recipes Using Fresh Spinach | painting sunny

20. Two Peas — February 25, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

I am not sure on the calorie count. Sorry!

21. Samantha — February 26, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Its ok everyone said green smoothies are good to drink for diets to drink this all day

22. Pingback: Trials and Tribulations of Smoothie Experimenting | painting sunny

23. Healthnut — March 7, 2013 @ 1:53 pm

Smoothies are great. For a post workout shake, you need a lot more protein. Try adding more yogurt or even a scoop of a yummy protein powder you like. I use chocolate protein powder and it mixes well with almost anything, even my spinach or kale that I’m using. If you do a smoothie with super healthy ginger or lemon, I would prob skip the chocolate protein powder tho.

24. beth — April 1, 2013 @ 11:45 am

Tried this one this morning and I love it. We live near a bunch of cherry orchards and have an over abundance of frozen dark cherries to I usually use cherries where ever smoothie recipes call for strawberries and they are delicious. Cherries are a little sweeter than strawberries and it completely covers the taste of the spinach!

25. Holly Neilsen — April 4, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

I make green smoothies for me and my teenage girls every morning. I do frozen mixed berries, a banana, spinach, parsley, avocado and water. For my girls I omit the parsley. Better energy boost than coffee, and healthier :)

26. Shawnte — April 7, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

I make a smoothie similar to this all the time. Although all my fruit is frozen. Since I am using the frozen fruit is it okay to leave out the ice?

27. Pingback: I’m Going Green | East Coast Girl

28. Carol — April 15, 2013 @ 10:42 am

Smoothies are the best way to get more greens and fruit into your diet the yummy way. We have been replacing lunch with a green smoothie and never looked back. Thanks for posting this recipe. Will be adding this to my collection :)

29. Stephanie — April 15, 2013 @ 11:48 am

I made my first smoothie yesterday and it was wonderful!! Baby spinach, greek yogurt, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and vanilla protien. I refrigerated the leftovers to have for breakfast this morning and it was terrible!!! I couldn’t even finish it. Anyone know why this might be? Thanks!

30. Pingback: Cooking for children with autism | Cookin'.... and Motherin'!

31. Pingback: Coconut Green Smoothie | Green Smoothie Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

32. Pingback: How to Make a Delicious Green Smoothie | Weeklysauce

33. Coffee Pure Cleanse Review — April 27, 2013 @ 4:17 am

What’s up colleagues, nice paragraph and good urging commented at this place, I am actually enjoying by these.

34. Pingback: How to: Create a Fitspiration Board. | fizzsbizz

35. Pingback: The challenges of cooking on campus | Dorm & Dine

36. Sharon — May 11, 2013 @ 8:38 am

Since raw spinach blocks the absorption of calcium and iron, would it be better to lightly steam the spinach first?

37. Pingback: Guest Post: Finding a Healthy Balance with an Inspiration Board | Cookies & Crunches

38. Pingback: ISABELLE CORNISH: A DAY IN HER LIFE | SPORTELUXE.COM

39. Sara — May 30, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I’ve been making smoothies lately and I love them! Just wondering what size mason jar you use in the picture above? I’ve been wanting to buy some jars and not sure about pint vs. quart – might just get both but who knows!

40. Pingback: Focus on Fitspiration to Maximize Your Healthy Living | Gluten Free Muse