Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

April is National Grilled Cheese Month which makes it pretty much the best month ever. Well, tomorrow is even more special because it is National Grilled Cheese Day. I love a good traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but I also like fancying them up a bit. My all time favorite is my Guacamole Grilled Cheese, but my latest obsession is this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich. If you are looking for a special sandwich to celebrate this fine day or month, you can count on this grilled cheese. It does not disappoint.

I made this sandwich yesterday for lunch because I was in the mood for comfort food. Caleb came down with a nasty cold on Sunday and we had to take him to the doctor on Monday. Luckily, he is fine and it’s just a bad cold, but I hate that he is sick. He’s fighting a fever, cough, and  hoarse voice. The only good part is that he loves snuggling again. I love my Caleb snuggles.

Since I can’t feed Caleb comfort food while he is sick I figured it was ok for mama to indulge. This Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese is just what the doctor ordered. The outside of the sandwich has a salty Parmesan cheese crust, while the inside is filled with mozzarella cheese and basil pesto. I used this pesto recipe, I had some in the freezer, but store-bought pesto is fine too.

A grilled cheese sandwich with cheese in the middle and on the outside is all kinds of awesome! And the basil pesto gives the sandwich loads of flavor. Make this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day or National Grilled Cheese Month. I might have to have this sandwich every day until May.

Don’t forget to join our Cookie Cravings online chat today at 12:00 MST. Visit Mom It Forward for all the details. I can’t wait to talk cookies with all of you!

Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Yield: 1 sandwich

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

The salty Parmesan crust takes this gourmet pesto grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level!

2 slices ciabatta or French bread
1 tablespoon soft butter, for brushing the bread
2 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I use my Microplane)

1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.

2. Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread. Place the mozzarella cheese slices on top of one piece of bread. Top with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of one side of the sandwich.

3. Place the sandwich, cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is crusted and golden brown. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of the other side of the sandwich. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.

If you like this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese, you might also like:

174 Responses to “Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

oh em gee. I don’t know what to say, just that my mouth is literally watering right now.

Sharyn Dimmick — April 11, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

I have to try this method of toasting Parmesan: I never thought of putting it on the outside of a grilled cheese sandwich. Have you tried grilled cheddar with chutney yet?

Cassie Laemmli — April 11, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

I love your grilled cheese posts. They are a favorite of mine and I love the unique combinations all over the place. Pesto is brilliant too. I hope Caleb feels better soon!

Jenna Welch — April 11, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

I think I just got teary-eyed over how delicious this looks. YUM.

That’s a seriously beautiful sandwich!

bridget {bake at 350} — April 11, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Whoa. That looks A-mazing, Maria! And I love that you are eating comfort food *for* Caleb. ;) Good mom.

So sorry that he’s sick…that is the worst! I swear, I had kiddo’s pediatrician on speed dial. And, it never fails that the are worse on weekends and holidays. Always.

Hopes he’s feeling better soon! Enjoy those snuggles! :)

Lynna H. — April 11, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

wow, this just sounds SO delicious. i don`t know if i should keep looking at it, or go make one.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — April 11, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

This looks awesome! When we were in Florida Joe had a burger that came on Parmesan-crusted bread. Insanely good!

Bev Weidner — April 11, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

OMG. IN LOVE.

Tracey — April 11, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

Hope Caleb is feeling better soon! This looks like the perfect comfort food for you :)

Pam — April 11, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

I have a massive craving for this sandwich! I want it RIGHT NOW!

Mrs. Measurement — April 11, 2012 @ 2:45 pm

What a clever way to dress up a grilled cheese sandwich. I still remember the ones my mom used to make us as a kid… she always used a spatula to cut it into fours. Yummm.

I hate it when kids are sick! Hopefully he gets better quickly. This is a great grilled cheese with pesto, I love pesto with just about anything!

awesome grilled cheese! genius idea to add pesto!

kathyfannon — April 11, 2012 @ 5:20 pm

I pinned this to Pinterest this morning while I was waiting at my doctor’s office. Within 15 minutes I got an email saying 11 had repinned it and one liked it. :)

I can’t wait to try this!

Kristina Vanni — April 11, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

I love the idea of cheese on the outside AND on the inside! Brilliant! The pesto must add such a nice flavor as well – certainly comforting!

Chels R — April 11, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Caleb got sick on Easter? That’s awful! I hope he is feeling better. This sandwich looks delicious!!!

Kitchen Essence — April 11, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

That looks delicious! I will make it soon.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — April 11, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

wish I could have featured this in my book! Love it!

susan — April 11, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I love grilled cheese month. The perfect excuse to eat all the comfort food desired!

Emily @ Life on Food — April 11, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

I love this sandwich. Pesto and tomatoes are always a great additional to grilled cheese. I never knew about Grilled Cheese Day! And your guacamole grilled cheese has me drooling.

tina @ mylifeasamrs — April 11, 2012 @ 9:24 pm

YUM! this looks delicious!!!!

Sues — April 11, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

Happy Grilled Cheese Month!!! This oen looks absolutely heavenly!

That Parmesan crust sound heavenly! Hope little Caleb feels better.

teresa — April 12, 2012 @ 12:20 am

Looks scrumptious Maria~
    LOVE a good grilled cheese!
    Just subscribed!
    Where have I been? ;)
    Enjoying getting to know you and your adorable Caleb through Instagram.
    xo

Jasanna — April 12, 2012 @ 1:24 am

This looks amazingly delicious!!

27. Pingback: How to make the Perfect Grilled Cheese | V-Spot

Jessica @ How Sweet — April 12, 2012 @ 7:18 am

I really think this will be our dinner tonight! I have been dreaming of it since yesterday!

Summer — April 12, 2012 @ 9:06 am

Yum! Love all the flavors in these!

30. Pingback: Happy Grilled Cheese Day! « tales of a traveling teacher

HeatherChristo — April 12, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Sick babies are the very worst. I feel so sad for them, and there is no sleep for a mama. I hope he feels better soon. I bet this sandwich helped do the trick for you :) looks so good with that melty cheese!

Sweetsugarbelle — April 12, 2012 @ 9:41 am

This looks delicious!!! I love the Parmesan crust! I always pick the cheese crunchies put of the pan! I’ll be making this soon!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — April 12, 2012 @ 9:56 am

Maria, this is just heavenly! There’s just nothing better than hot melted cheese. :)

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — April 12, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I’m SO glad grilled cheese has it’s own month – I love it! :)
    This looks so tasty…

Nancy @ CouponClippingCook — April 12, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

What an amazing combination! Sounds absolutely delicious.

Now that’s my kind of grilled cheese! Love the addition of pesto – very creative!

37. Pingback: Happy National Grilled Cheese Day

Krissy's Creations — April 12, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I was hoping you shared another one of your delicious grilled cheese recipes! This look incredible!!

39. Pingback: Parmesan Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Cozycakes Cottage

Joanne — April 12, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Adding pesto to my grilled cheese has been a favorite for years but that parm crust is definitely the icing on the cake! Hope Caleb is feeling better!