Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

April is National Grilled Cheese Month which makes it pretty much the best month ever. Well, tomorrow is even more special because it is National Grilled Cheese Day. I love a good traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but I also like fancying them up a bit. My all time favorite is my Guacamole Grilled Cheese, but my latest obsession is this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich. If you are looking for a special sandwich to celebrate this fine day or month, you can count on this grilled cheese. It does not disappoint.

I made this sandwich yesterday for lunch because I was in the mood for comfort food. Caleb came down with a nasty cold on Sunday and we had to take him to the doctor on Monday. Luckily, he is fine and it’s just a bad cold, but I hate that he is sick. He’s fighting a fever, cough, and  hoarse voice. The only good part is that he loves snuggling again. I love my Caleb snuggles.

Since I can’t feed Caleb comfort food while he is sick I figured it was ok for mama to indulge. This Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese is just what the doctor ordered. The outside of the sandwich has a salty Parmesan cheese crust, while the inside is filled with mozzarella cheese and basil pesto. I used this pesto recipe, I had some in the freezer, but store-bought pesto is fine too.

A grilled cheese sandwich with cheese in the middle and on the outside is all kinds of awesome! And the basil pesto gives the sandwich loads of flavor. Make this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day or National Grilled Cheese Month. I might have to have this sandwich every day until May.

Don’t forget to join our Cookie Cravings online chat today at 12:00 MST. Visit Mom It Forward for all the details. I can’t wait to talk cookies with all of you!

Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Yield: 1 sandwich

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

The salty Parmesan crust takes this gourmet pesto grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level!

2 slices ciabatta or French bread
1 tablespoon soft butter, for brushing the bread
2 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I use my Microplane)

1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.

2. Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread. Place the mozzarella cheese slices on top of one piece of bread. Top with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of one side of the sandwich.

3. Place the sandwich, cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is crusted and golden brown. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of the other side of the sandwich. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.

If you like this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese, you might also like:

170 Responses to “Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

nicole {sweet peony} — April 12, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

This looks out-of-this-world…omigoooosh! So ooey & gooey! Loving this, Maria! :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 12, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Outta this world!! Not a huge fan of parmesan (gasp!) but love the idea of pesto grilled cheese ;)

The Hungry Housewife — April 12, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

Who ever invented Grilled Cheese month..must be named President! This looks amazing Maria!

meg — April 13, 2012 @ 12:27 am

Pesto and melted cheese? 2 things i just may live to eat. :) Sounds great! I don’t know why I never thought to put 2 of my favorite things together?! Thanks for Sharing!!!!

Cara — April 13, 2012 @ 9:29 am

This sandwich is Grilled Cheese Royalty! The parm crust is like the crown or the tiara.

aida mollenkamp — April 13, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Great idea to double the cheese by adding it to the crust, Maria!

Rachel — April 13, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

This looks amazing. I am always coming up with new grilled cheese combinations at home. My fiancee is obsessed with them! I love using crusting Italian bread to make them. This looks delicious! I will absolutely be trying this one out! :)

Léa @ iCooklea — April 14, 2012 @ 4:47 am

Cute sandwich – looks awesome!

9. Pingback: Luxe Horseradish, “Go Fork Yourself,” Free Steak, Truffle-Hunting Dogs, National Grilled Cheese Day Recipes | Grilleur

10. Pingback: 4/15 Menu « taylorseast

Esi — April 16, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

Mouth watering

The Crafty Wify — April 17, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

This looks amazingly yummy! Hubby loves grilled cheese and I can’t wait to try this for him.:)

Rose — April 18, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

This was amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe! :)

14. Pingback: National Grilled Cheese Month « RUMINATIONS and RECKONINGS

KitchenSisters — April 19, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Love this combi, works every time and tastes delicious!

16. Pingback: celebrate: national grilled cheese month | Café Zupas

17. Pingback: White Cheddar Raz-Pepper Grilled Cheese | Barbara Bakes

18. Pingback: 4/15 Pick of Week « taylorseast

This looks amazing! Whenever we make pesto we end up with extra. . .this will definitely be on my list for next time that happens!

wifemothereventplanner — May 1, 2012 @ 8:41 am

April was “National Grilled Cheese” month??? I can’t believe I missed the boat. This sandwich touches my soul. I mean…would you trust anyone who wouldn’t love this sandwich? Great recipe – and great site!

Lyuba — May 2, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

Made this tonight!! Love it! I will be posting it as part of a challenge and will be linking to your site :):) (On May 7th)

Ann P. — May 6, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

HEAVEN between two slices of bread! Gotta make this soon; it reminds me so much of the grilled cheese sandwiches I used to buy from a non-profit student organization at my college! Now i can relive the good days. :)

23. Pingback: Food Photography - Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Wendy Wills Photography, A Woman Photographer's Journey | Wendy Wills Photography

Stacey — May 8, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Thank you Thank You thank you!!! I just made this for dinner and it was amazingly good. So full of flavor. It lookedo good my roommate saw mine and made one for herself. I will definitely be making this again.

Dana — May 22, 2012 @ 10:45 am

made this last night with wonderful pesto, fresh mozz, and a huge fresh, crusty boule bread. burned 3 fingers on my right hand transferring the sandwich to the plate for my boyfriend but MAN was it worth it.

26. Pingback: The Secret Diet Dangers of Pinterest : College Lifestyles

27. Pingback: On the Menu for the Week of June 10th | Simply My Kitchen

Katie — June 21, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

I made this for dinner the other day along with a tomato & balsamic vinegar soup, and it was a big hit in my house :D

• Two Peas replied: — June 21st, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

Glad you liked the sandwich!

Kathryn — June 29, 2012 @ 2:05 am

I am always on the lookout for new recipes and foodie blogs. Well I know your recipe and blog are not new, but I saw this on Pinterest. It sounds fabulous and can’t wait to try it!

30. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese »

31. Pingback: Mid-week Crisis: Ryan Gosling would make a great Catwoman | Spoonlighting

32. Pingback: Thursday thoughts | olivehealth

Mary — July 13, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Do you use fresh mozzarella or the kind you put on pizza?

34. Pingback: Bacon, Egg & Hash Brown Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Lori — August 12, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

I am salivating with this recipe. Looks so incredibly yummy. I can hardly wait to try this one out!

Deaven =] — August 20, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

This looks amazing! I’ve been trying to think of some panini ideas with french bread and this looks like something I’ll be trying VERY SOON! Love pesto, and cheese of any kind. Looks Greattttt!

37. Pingback: Fall, Food and Fun: 10 Tips For The Coming Months | Sara's Market & Bakery

38. Pingback: 32 Melty, Gooey, Savory, Fruity, and Just Plain Over-the-Top Grilled Cheese Sandwiches | Kitchen Treaty

39. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese | Cooking Pics

Sofia — September 24, 2012 @ 12:44 am

by far the BEST grilled cheese i’ve tried. i made the pesto using fresh basil from my garden and oh my god was it delicious. seriously, an awesome sandwich. thanks for sharing!