Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

April is National Grilled Cheese Month which makes it pretty much the best month ever. Well, tomorrow is even more special because it is National Grilled Cheese Day. I love a good traditional grilled cheese sandwich, but I also like fancying them up a bit. My all time favorite is my Guacamole Grilled Cheese, but my latest obsession is this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich. If you are looking for a special sandwich to celebrate this fine day or month, you can count on this grilled cheese. It does not disappoint.

I made this sandwich yesterday for lunch because I was in the mood for comfort food. Caleb came down with a nasty cold on Sunday and we had to take him to the doctor on Monday. Luckily, he is fine and it’s just a bad cold, but I hate that he is sick. He’s fighting a fever, cough, and  hoarse voice. The only good part is that he loves snuggling again. I love my Caleb snuggles.

Since I can’t feed Caleb comfort food while he is sick I figured it was ok for mama to indulge. This Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese is just what the doctor ordered. The outside of the sandwich has a salty Parmesan cheese crust, while the inside is filled with mozzarella cheese and basil pesto. I used this pesto recipe, I had some in the freezer, but store-bought pesto is fine too.

A grilled cheese sandwich with cheese in the middle and on the outside is all kinds of awesome! And the basil pesto gives the sandwich loads of flavor. Make this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day or National Grilled Cheese Month. I might have to have this sandwich every day until May.

Don’t forget to join our Cookie Cravings online chat today at 12:00 MST. Visit Mom It Forward for all the details. I can’t wait to talk cookies with all of you!

Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Yield: 1 sandwich

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

The salty Parmesan crust takes this gourmet pesto grilled cheese sandwich to a whole new level!

2 slices ciabatta or French bread
1 tablespoon soft butter, for brushing the bread
2 slices mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons basil pesto
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I use my Microplane)

1. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.

2. Butter the outside of each slice of bread. Spread basil pesto on the inside of each slice of bread. Place the mozzarella cheese slices on top of one piece of bread. Top with the other slice of bread. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of one side of the sandwich.

3. Place the sandwich, cheese side down, on the hot pan. Grill for 2 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is crusted and golden brown. Sprinkle the rest of the Parmesan cheese on the outside of the other side of the sandwich. Cook until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately.

If you like this Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese, you might also like:

165 Responses to “Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

1. Pingback: Grilled Cheese Mania | The Life of a Pinner

Jenna Welch — October 8, 2012 @ 11:14 am

This was a huge hit with all 10 of the people I had over for dinner last night. Thanks for such a great recipe!

3. Pingback: Werk en veel sandwiches - Wat zij zegt

Healthy Goddess — October 25, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

I really want to try this. I put pesto lots of stuff. This looks super good!

5. Pingback: 10/27 Menu « taylorseast

6. Pingback: A Week in Sandwiches -

7. Pingback: 11/4 Menu « taylorseast

David Crowley — December 5, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

Wow, sounds great, combines 2 of my favorite things!

Madalyn — January 3, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Ermahgerd, I just found out that National Grilled Cheese Day is on MAH BIRTHDAY!!!! I will most definitely be celebrating!

10. Pingback: Back to Work Blues and Menu Plan Monday Jan 7th | Mama Sonshine

11. Pingback: Putting a Pin in my New Year Resolutions « The Dissocial Mom

Lacee — January 30, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Made this tonight & it was awesome! Loved the addition of Parmesan on the toast. Mmm dipped so perfectly into homemade tomato soup. Will be making again.

13. Pingback: Philly Cheese Sloppy Joe Rolls ~ Menu Plan Feb 4 | Mama Sonshine

14. Pingback: 2/10 Menu « taylorseast

15. Pingback: Pesto, Schmesto « Cricket's Cooks

Brian @ A Thought For Food — February 26, 2013 @ 8:07 pm

Looks like the best grilled cheese I’ve ever seen!

17. Pingback: What’s on the Menu {4/1 – 4/5} | Kitchen Pots & Tabletops

18. Pingback: This and That | Two Peas & Their Pod

19. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese - Will Cook For Smiles

20. Pingback: 50 AMAZING Grilled Cheese Recipes | Celebrate Grilled Cheese Month! on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking

21. Pingback: Dizzy Busy Digest 13 April 2013 - Celebrating Grilled Cheese! «Dizzy Busy and Hungry!

22. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday April 15 | Mama Sonshine

23. Pingback: Meal Plan Monday April 22 | Mama Sonshine

Alex — April 28, 2013 @ 9:37 pm

I adore anything with pesto, and these were perfect! To give it a little something else, I added some grilled chicken into the sandwich before cooking it, and it turned out fabulous! Thank you for this, will be making them again very soon!

25. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod | twewordplay

26. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich - Where Home Starts

Kristi — June 20, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

My family won’t even try this type of thing. I found myself with an empty house for three glorious days. Last nights dinner was this sandwich! I did add tomatoes to half (wanted to try with and without). It was wonderful both ways!

The capacities of 8, 12, roofing baltimore maryland 16, and 20 quarts ensure you always have the
    right size pot for stews, soups, chili, and more. Hoffritz 4
    Piece Nesting Aluminum Stockpot Set with Lids
    - This Hoffritz 4 Piece Nesting Aluminum Stockpot Set
    is perfect for preparing big family dinners, holiday meals, and large cookouts.
    The capacities of 8, 12, 16, and 20 quarts ensure you always have the right
    size pot for stews, soups, chili, and more.

Esther — July 1, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

This looks so good- I think Swiss inside with tomato or avocado sounds amazing!

Pesto and cheese, just the perfect combination! Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. My friends are paying me a visit and this will be a perfect snack to serve them! Aside from being very appetizing, this sandwich is also easy to prepare. Thank you again for sharing this post!

31. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday July 8 | Mama Sonshine

32. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday July 22 | Mama Sonshine

33. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday July 29 | Mama Sonshine

34. Pingback: Grilled Sausage Sandwich Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

35. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - 11 Pesto Recipes

36. Pingback: 7 Quick Takes: Calendar Clean-Up Edition

37. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday Sept. 30 | Mama Sonshine

38. Pingback: Parmesan Crusted Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich - adventureeatz | adventureeatz

39. Pingback: CHAARGmas Link Love - CHAARG

40. Pingback: Roasted Mushroom and Gruyere Toasts | Mushroom Melt | Two Peas & Their Pod