Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

My avocado obsession continues, this time with Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese! If you like our Creamy Avocado Pasta, you will love this decadent macaroni and cheese. It is basically the same delicious pasta, but kicked up a notch. Josh thought I was a little looney when I told him what we were having for dinner, but after one bite, he was in mac and cheese heaven. If you are an avocado lover, you will go crazy for this macaroni and cheese!

This avocado macaroni and cheese is so easy to make. It is perfect for busy weeknights or whenever you are craving a comforting meal, but feeling lazy. You don’t even have to turn on the oven. To make the pasta, you boil the macaroni, make the avocado sauce in the food processor, and whisk together a cheesy sauce on the stove top. You combine everything in a big bowl and devour!

The creamy avocado sauce coats the pasta nicely with a hint of garlic, cilantro, and lime. The creamy cheese sauce is out of this world. We used Pepper Jack cheese, which gave the dish a nice kick. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack. I garnished the macaroni and cheese with fresh avocado chunks. You can never have too much avocado!

This Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese is all kinds of awesome! It is creamy, cheesy, and comforting. When you are in the need for pure comfort food, make this mac and cheese. It is comfort food to the max! This is also a great dish for Cinco de Mayo. I think chips and guacamole would go great on the side:)

Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

Yield: Serves 4-6

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Creamy, cheesy, and easy Avocado Mac and Cheese!

10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh avocado chunks, for garnish, if desired

1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. While the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.

3. To make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in Pepper Jack cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.

4. Place macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated. Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm. Garnish with fresh avocado chunks, if desired.

Note-the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. The mac and cheese is best eaten the first day, but it is still good the second day. The pasta may turn slightly brown, but not bad. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack or White Cheddar Cheese.

If you like this Stove Top Avocado Mac and Cheese, you might also like:

259 Responses to “Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese”

1. Pingback: Creamy Avocado Macaroni & Cheese | So Delicious

MrPbros — May 11, 2012 @ 5:28 am

Amazing…!! Looks great… I love this….

Ashley — May 11, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

I love my two favorites! Avocado + Cheese! Making it now with the only change of shells instead of macaroni. I have made the avocado sauce and am working on the cheese but only 8oz of macaroni seems like not enough pasta for the sauce… I guess I will find out! Yum!!

Natasja — May 12, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Mac & cheese AND avocado; sound crazy but delicious! Will definitely give this a try soon!

5. Pingback: Oatmeal Toppings Wishes You a Happy Mother’s Day!

RecipeNewZ — May 12, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

Wow, this recipe is absolutely amazing: how did you manage to make macaroni and cheese healthier, keep it delicious and also add some green color to it? All in one! Ingenious :-).

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched only this Monday. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

Morten Pedersen — May 13, 2012 @ 8:18 am

It looks so good and fresh and heathy!

8. Pingback: Day 93 – Avocado Orzo & Cheese « One Day at a Time

Laura — May 13, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

I just made this last night and it was delicious! I ended up using more pasta than the recipe because there was too much sauce. I ate the leftovers cold and they make a great pasta salad! My roommate has a severe egg allergy so I am always looks for ways to make my favorite foods without them and this sauce is way better than the standard mayo one! I also have a gluten intolerant friend and this recipe could easily be adapted for that as well.

Francesca — May 14, 2012 @ 12:10 am

I’ve made this a couple times now since I found this recipe and I absolutely love it! I’ve been using fontina cheese instead though- add a little somethin’ somethin’. Thanks for this awesome recipe!!!

Lorne Jung — May 14, 2012 @ 2:17 am

cannot wait to make avocado mac and cheese for my mom. wish i caught that recipe before mothers day it would have been perfect !!!! keep banging out amazing ideas like that all day

Winston Bishop — May 14, 2012 @ 7:33 am

OH MY GOD! So good! The only thing that would have made this better would have been a recomendation for a beer-pairing. I’ve made this recipe several times now and find that it goes best with a light Belgian or an Amber Ale, but that was just trial and error. Or was it a German Hef? Oh well, maybe I had too many to remember! Just delish though! And Caleb is ADORABLE. I just wanna gobble him up in his little avacado-suit! So precious.

God bless and good luck in your dream kitchen!

A faithful reader!

• Two Peas replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 11:37 am

Thanks!

13. Pingback: Mother’s Day Avocado Mac & Cheese | Lindsay Is Vegan

LP @dishclips — May 14, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

The avocado sounds like a great addition to the mac and cheese. I can imagine the texture to be creamy and divine.

Kathleen — May 14, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Just made it. It was amazing!!

• Two Peas replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

Glad you liked the recipe!

meg — May 14, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

Awesome! Another way to enjoy avocados!!! Thanks

BRee — May 14, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

Just made this and O.M.G.!!!!!!!! So good!!!! And filling!

• Two Peas replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

Glad you liked the mac and cheese!

Lynn — May 16, 2012 @ 12:12 am

This is really a fabulous recipe; I used whole-grain pasta and that really added a nice element to it. I don’t think I’d call it Mac and Cheese, but it’s definitely a great pasta recipe for sure. Had it for dinner and really loved it.

O M G this looks awesome…I do happen to have 3 ripe avocados in my fridge and I am betting that by tomorrow morning there will only be 1! Thanks!

KG — May 16, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

I found this blog/recipe via Pinterest and could not stop thinking about avocado mac and cheese for days. Made it for dinner tonight, and it is everything I dreamed it would be.

I used monterey jack instead of pepperjack with hopes that it would be more kid-friendly that way but alas, no. (Of course, I went into this knowing that my kids won’t touch avocados, so I have no one to blame but myself.) Next time, I will make a half batch with pepperjack, lock myself in a closet, and eat the whole thing by myself.

21. Pingback: Food Parties | Baking Beautie

22. Pingback: avo – no, absolutely not. || pin proj 4 « charlotte anabar

Jeannie Garcia — May 17, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

So yum! Since I’m vegan, I’ll replace the dairy products with Daiya jack cheese, soy milk and vegan butter. I also have some wagon wheel pasta leftover. I can’t wait to try this!! <3

Kristina Vanni — May 17, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

This looks like the ultimate update on comfort food. With a love of avocado and mac and cheese, I can only imagine how great this must taste!

Jill — May 18, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Really loving avocados at the moment so can’t wait to try this fab recipe. Haven’t seen this combination before!

cweems — May 20, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

omg I finally made this today and it is amazing!!! :)

Lship — May 21, 2012 @ 12:31 am

This was amazing!!! SO good if I were you I would have sold it to a restaurant :) most unique and yummiest recipe I’ve made in a long time. I cook aLOT and try so many different things and this has been my favorite in a long time.

I love your sauce to noodle ratio. So many pasta recipes are dry to me and I have to add on sauce plus cut down on pasta. This might have been the opposite.

I also usually tweak spices and seasonings and this was almost spot on. I might have added a bit more lime juice because I like that flavoring but that is about it.

Rich, creamy, unique, bursting with flavor….if you even THINK you like avocados….make this.

Thank you!!

Sara — May 21, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

Very good! I will make some modifications for next time though. First, much less cilantro. I love it, but 1/3 cup was too much for us. Second, more garlic. I made about 14 oz’s of pasta, so used an additional avocado. And lastly, I’ll use a mix if pepper jack and white cheddar next time. Thank u so much!

Janna — May 21, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

I’ve had this recipe sitting in my recipe folder for a bit, and I made it tonight. I only had cheddar cheese, so I used that. Also, I had lemons, so used lemon juice instead of lime and I omitted the cilantro. Lastly, I added fresh tomato chunks, and served it with the avocado as garnish. OH. MY. YUM!! My kids were very apprehensive, complaining about it being “greeeeen!!!”, but they ended up really liking it! Even my picky one. So thank you!!! Out of all the recipes I’ve made, this is definitely considered one of the best, and will definitely be a keeper!!! 10 thumbs up from my family!

Made this with Gruyere cheese, and it was amazing!!! Second day, it was a little brown/gray but the flavor was all there :)

Renee — May 23, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Made this tonight it was awesome and easy :)

32. Pingback: » Zero to Twins

33. Pingback: Meal Plan 5/28 - 6/1

34. Pingback: Ripening Avocados and Cowboy Caviar Bean Salsa Recipe | TidyMom

35. Pingback: Avocado and Quinoa Mac N Cheese | Sookton's Space

Kit — May 31, 2012 @ 3:43 am

So, I don’t like avocados but I can handle them in things, where the flavour isn’t strong. Is it a strong avocado flavour, or no?

37. Pingback: Favorite Recipe Finds | Vegetarian Mamma

38. Pingback: On the Menu for the Week of June 3rd | Simply My Kitchen

Jessica Rose — June 4, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

This recipe was SO delicious!

Robert — June 5, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

Would this be a good recipe for a crockpot?

• Two Peas replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 11:48 pm

I haven’t tried it in the crockpot. Let me know if you do!