Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

My avocado obsession continues, this time with Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese! If you like our Creamy Avocado Pasta, you will love this decadent macaroni and cheese. It is basically the same delicious pasta, but kicked up a notch. Josh thought I was a little looney when I told him what we were having for dinner, but after one bite, he was in mac and cheese heaven. If you are an avocado lover, you will go crazy for this macaroni and cheese!

This avocado macaroni and cheese is so easy to make. It is perfect for busy weeknights or whenever you are craving a comforting meal, but feeling lazy. You don’t even have to turn on the oven. To make the pasta, you boil the macaroni, make the avocado sauce in the food processor, and whisk together a cheesy sauce on the stove top. You combine everything in a big bowl and devour!

The creamy avocado sauce coats the pasta nicely with a hint of garlic, cilantro, and lime. The creamy cheese sauce is out of this world. We used Pepper Jack cheese, which gave the dish a nice kick. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack. I garnished the macaroni and cheese with fresh avocado chunks. You can never have too much avocado!

This Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese is all kinds of awesome! It is creamy, cheesy, and comforting. When you are in the need for pure comfort food, make this mac and cheese. It is comfort food to the max! This is also a great dish for Cinco de Mayo. I think chips and guacamole would go great on the side:)

Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese

Yield: Serves 4-6

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Creamy, cheesy, and easy Avocado Mac and Cheese!

10 ounces dry elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh avocado chunks, for garnish, if desired

1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Salt the water and add in macaroni. Stir and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. While the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.

3. To make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste. Whisk in milk until smooth. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. Add in Pepper Jack cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.

4. Place macaroni in a large bowl. Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated. Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm. Garnish with fresh avocado chunks, if desired.

Note-the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. The mac and cheese is best eaten the first day, but it is still good the second day. The pasta may turn slightly brown, but not bad. If you want a milder flavor, you can use Monterey Jack or White Cheddar Cheese.

If you like this Stove Top Avocado Mac and Cheese, you might also like:

274 Responses to “Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese”

Jason — October 3, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I tried this recipe tonight and it was really good! I wrote a review on my food blog at http://chefhawleywood.blogpot.com and shared links to your blog for people to find the recipe. It was surprisingly rich and tasted amazing!

Barbara — October 22, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

I don’t like cilantro so I substituted parsely. Also, I didn’t have pepper jack cheese so I substituted cheddar jack cheese. I used an entire 14 oz box of pasta. All else was the same. I found it lacking in a “kick” of flavor so when I reheat another serving I may add some wasabi sauce. I would make it again to give it another chance as it is a great way to use avocados.

3. Pingback: CrossFit! « Dancing for Food

4. Pingback: Annapolis & Company - Avocado Mac & Cheese

5. Pingback: Avocado Mac & Cheese : My Website

6. Pingback: Goat Cheese Pasta with Spinach & Mushrooms | Goat Cheese Pasta | Two Peas & Their Pod

7. Pingback: mrsjenny!

laura — November 10, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

I’m gonna make this as soon as possible. Love avocado (aguacate)!

9. Pingback: 90/10 Nutrition Challenge Weekly Dinner Menu – 11/12/12

Eckuluh — November 18, 2012 @ 3:14 am

My amiga and I JUST made this beautiful recipe and lemme tell you guys, your mind will be blown to smithereens. The richness of the cheese compliments the fresh creaminess of the avocado sauce. It was hard to stop coming back for more, but because I enjoy walking I had to stop myself from eating any more of that sabroso pasta. All of you seriously need to make this and stop talking about it, because you are missing out on a world of wonderfulness.

11. Pingback: All I Want for Christmas | Happiness on the Horizon

Bella — January 3, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

I know what for lunch tomorrow! This looks so great.

13. Pingback: Pour Weather « Two Red Suitcases

laura — January 9, 2013 @ 4:32 pm

I love avocado. I made this recipe last weekend and my husband and I love it. Thanks for all your vegetarian recipes! Love from Costa Rica.

Kristin — January 12, 2013 @ 2:40 pm

I just have to say i tried this yesterday with my 9month old with some plain mac and cheese and mashed avacado with no seasoning and i loved it. Im glad i found this recipe for the adult version, its a surprising combo but it tastes fantastic

16. Pingback: Avocado Mac & Cheese | The Hungry Hoarder

Jennifer — February 6, 2013 @ 8:00 pm

This is a great recipe! We all loved it! My 15 year old daughter thinks it’s the best mac and cheese. A keeper for sure!

Jen — February 19, 2013 @ 3:58 pm

OMG! I just cooked this and it is to DIE for! I used Monterrey Jack since I wasn’t able to find Pepper Jack but it was still amazing! Thanks for the recipie!!! =D

• Two Peas replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

You are welcome!

19. Pingback: Avocado Mac & Cheese | Au Bon Gouter

VeggieHead — February 27, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Can a non-dairy milk be used for the milk?

• Two Peas replied: — February 27th, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

Megan — March 8, 2013 @ 2:59 pm

Hi! just wanted to let you know this recipe is fantastic!! We’ve made it so many times, including for my boyfriend and I’s 4 year anniversary dinner! Everyone that has tried it, loves it, and I promote and share the recipe as often as I can. thank you for this! SO DELICIOUS!!!! We replace the pepper jack cheese with “hot-pepper” cheese, essentially the same thing, but with a little more kick! and its always so smooth, thick and creamy with the cheese sauce and avocado sauce! I seriously LOVE it!

22. Pingback: 10 Naturally Green Foods for St. Patrick's Day - Bless This Mess

23. Pingback: Thursday Treat | essentjewels

24. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Brownie Milkshake | Chocolate Mint Shake | Two Peas & Their Pod

25. Pingback: {weekend} lovelies - Simply Happenstance

Maria — March 16, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

So, this was interesting to say the least. It was pretty easy to make. I am 17 and I managed to do this on my own WHILE making some delish avocado fries! At the end… it tasted bland… but extra salt certainly helped! I am going to try and make this into a summer salad! Keeping the added avocado/cilantro mix but instead of melting the cheese… I’ll just cut it into cubes and combine it with the cool noodles. This dish isn’t for picky eaters! I’d seen an avocado-sriracha mac n’ cheese and I’d maybe recommend trying that also!

If you want a themed meal like mine.. with the avocado… try the avocado fries! Heres the link :https://sites.google.com/site/wearenotmartharecipes/avocado-fries-with-creamy-sriracha-dipping-sauce

27. Pingback: Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese | Recipe Girl

28. Pingback: Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese

29. Pingback: Avocados 2 Ways! | This is my life...

Nat — April 4, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

You could also put the finished avocado macaroni and cheese into the avocado skins, substituting for a bowl.

31. Pingback: Thursday Treat – Essentjewels™ Blog

Karmalily — April 24, 2013 @ 10:53 am

A friend and I made this for lunch yesterday, and I just wanted to let you know that it’s delicious. We topped it with a good-quality hot sauce and served it with garlic bread topped with fresh mozzerella (we definitely weren’t shooting for healthy!). I’m also planning on making it for a potluck I’m hosting next week. I have a feeling I’m going to be making this recipe for years!

33. Pingback: Avocado mac and cheese - Where Home Starts

sam — May 23, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Would this still be good with cheddar cheese? Or any other cheese?

35. Pingback: TodaysMama.com - Macaroni and Cheese Round-Up

36. Pingback: Out of the Box Avocado Recipes

JandJ — May 31, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

Made it. It was pretty weird. One bite would be okay and the next would taste terrible. Try at own risk.

38. Pingback: Recipes I’ve Made Recently | Going Green with the Grizls

39. Pingback: veganfoody: Stovetop Avocado Mac and Cheese Tell. Us. More.  | Vegan Today

40. Pingback: The answer to my go-to stress food: Vegan Avocado Macaroni and Cheese. - The Living Paradox