Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – this easy apple cake makes a great fall dessert! Apple cake is my dad’s specialty, and a favorite family tradition. I hope you like it.
Dad’s Apple Cake
My dad and stepmom came to visit a few weeks ago to meet Maxwell and to play with Caleb. We loved having them in our home. They were a huge help with the boys, laundry, cleaning, and cooking. We were spoiled with delicious meals every night and of course, my dad made his famous cinnamon rolls. He also made another family favorite, Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
My dad has been making this apple cake for years, but has never shared the recipe with me because he always makes it for us! Well, this time I asked for the recipe so I could share this apple cake with all of you. You need to make this cake! It is the perfect dessert for fall!
What Apples to Use for Fresh Apple Cake
I am loving all of the varieties of apples that are at the store and farmers market. They are great for snacking on and great for making recipes…like this apple cake! My dad always uses at least two different kinds of apples in his fresh apple cake. This time he went with Granny Smith and Gala. Feel free to use your favorite apples! I love using Honeycrisp apples when they are in season, they are always a favorite apple.
This easy apple cake is super simple to make. You don’t even need a mixer. Just a bowl, spoon, and some arm strength. The cake batter is thick and has a lot of apples. It is supposed be a thick, so don’t worry!
An apple a day keeps the doctor away and that means a piece of apple cake too:)
Apple Cake Family Tradition
The cake is flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. It is moist with big chunks of apples and a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. You can serve this fresh apple cake at room temperature or chilled. I personally like to eat the cake right out of the fridge. Just give me the pan, a fork, and I am good to go!
I hope you enjoy my dad’s Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It is a favorite tradition in our family and I think your family will like it too. Now, I just need my dad to come back and visit so he can bake me another apple cake. I know I have the recipe now and could make it for myself, but we still want my dad to come back. We all miss him!
If you like this apple cake recipe, you might also like:
- Easy Chocolate Cake
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
For the Apple Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples we use Granny Smith and Gala
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray and flour a 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Slowly stir in the flour mixture. The batter will be thick. Stir in the apples until cake batter moistens.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until it is completely smooth. Add the butter and beat until combined. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Frost the cooled the cake with cream cheese frosting. Cut into pieces and serve.
- Note-The frosted cake can be keet, refrigerated and tightly covered, for up to 3 days. I like the cake chilled or at room temperature.