Hopefully, most of you have the day off and are still in your pajamas. Put the box of cereal and milk away, because you deserve a special breakfast on your day off. These Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are calling your name. And if you have kiddos, I am sure they will love helping you make muffins for breakfast. I promise they are easy to make and will fill your house with a pleasant cinnamon aroma that will wake up anyone that is sleeping in.
These muffins are made with whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use all all-purpose flour, but I like the wholesomeness the whole wheat flour adds. The muffins are filled with chunks of tart Granny Smith apples and have a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. The muffins whip up in no time, you don’t even have to get out the mixer. Just use your muscles to mix up these muffins up. Bonus-you are getting a mini workout by stirring the muffins so you can eat more:)
If you are looking for a special breakfast treat to enjoy on your day off, make these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins. They are perfect with a cup of coffee, tea, or a chilled glass of milk. And if you slept in and missed breakfast-good for you. You can still make these muffins because they are good anytime of the day.
Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins
Spiced apple muffins with a sweet and buttery cinnamon crumb topping. These muffins are easy to make and are great for breakfast or snack time.
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- 12 regular size muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced peeled apples I use Granny Smith
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all-spice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Do not over mix. Add in the apples and stir until just combined.
3. To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix with a spoon until crumbly.
3. Fill the prepared muffin pan with muffin batter, filling each cup about 3/4 the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with crumb topping. Bake for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool to room temperature and serve.
If you like these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins, you might also like: