Apple, Gouda, and Farro Salad-mixed greens with apple, Gouda, farro, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and simple apple cider vinaigrette. This delicious salad is perfect served as a side dish or main dish!
I kind of od’d on pumpkin cookies last week. I can never stop at five or six cookies. Oops! So this week is all about salad, you know, to balance out my big cookie binge.
My current favorite salad is this Apple, Gouda, and Farro Salad. It is healthy, hearty, and super delicious. I could eat it every single day for the rest of my life. It is that good!
And guess what? Thanksgiving is NEXT week! I bet you are all looking for the perfect salad to serve at your Thanksgiving feast, well, look no further, this is the ultimate fall salad and the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
I don’t do wimpy salads. I want a salad that is full of flavor and textures. This Apple, Gouda, and Farro Salad fits the bill. It has lots of goodness going on.
I top mixed greens with apple slices, Gouda, farro, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, and a simple apple cider vinaigrette. Yep, this salad has it all!
I love using Arla Donfio’s Gouda cheese because it is made with few ingredients and without artificial flavors or preservatives. It is rich, creamy, and has a slightly sweet flavor, which pairs nicely with the apples. I like to use Honeycrisp apples because they are so good right now, but feel free to use your favorite apple. Any variety will work!
This salad can be served as a side dish to any meal or can be enjoyed as a main dish because it is so satisfying. I am going to eat it for lunch this week. Is it lunch time yet? I can’t wait! I love all of the fall flavors!
I know my family and friends will love this salad too, so I am making it for Thanksgiving. It is sure to be a hit…and a nice balance with all of the other indulgent foods that will be at the table.
Add this Apple, Gouda, and Farro Salad to your Thanksgiving menu. It is fall perfection in a bowl! And if you can’t wait until next week to make it, go ahead and make it ASAP! I am not waiting. I want it NOW:)
Apple, Gouda, and Farro Salad
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
For the salad:
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 large apple core removed and thinly sliced
- 6 oz Arla Dofino® Gouda cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
For the apple cider vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- First, toast the walnuts. In a small skillet, toast the walnuts, over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until the walnuts turn brown and smell toasted. This will take about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Place the greens in a large bowl. Top with sliced apples, Gouda cheese cubes, farro, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, and shallot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Drizzle the salad with the vinaigrette and gently toss. Serve!
- Note-I like to use Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, but any apple variety will work. I also like to use Trader Joe's 10 minute farro.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
Disclosure-this post is in partnership with Arla Dofino, but our opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that continue to make Two Peas and Their Pod possible.