We love making homemade pizza. Josh always makes the pizza dough, while I make the sauce. Well, last week I was craving pizza for lunch, big time! I was tempted to call my “dough boy” home from work so he could whip up some pizza dough, but I decided I should probably let him work:) I was busy with Caleb and didn’t have time to make pizza dough from scratch, so I took the easy route and used pita bread to create an Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce. The pita bread made a great pizza crust. I created a tasty pizza in a matter of minutes.
If you think putting avocado slices on a pizza is weird, think again. They make the BEST pizza topping. You really can’t go wrong with avocado in any form, in my opinion:) And I am in avocado heaven right now because we received a big box of avocados from California Avocados Direct. They are amazing! California Avocados Direct, a “Farm to Table” business, ships freshly picked avocados all over the United States. The avocados are beautiful, make a great gift, and were certainly delicious on this pizza! Oh, and we gave Caleb his first taste of avocado and he loved it! Mama is so proud he loves avocado:)
The sauce is made with cilantro, garlic, fresh lime juice, jalapeño, green onion, olive oil, salt. It is simple to make and is full of flavor. I spread the sauce on whole wheat pita bread and topped the pizza with shredded mozzarella cheese. I popped the pizza in the oven and baked it for about 10 minutes. I topped the hot and bubble cheesy pita pizza with freshly sliced avocados. I sprinkled the avocados with salt and dug right in.
The cilantro sauce was the perfect base for the pizza. The sauce went beautifully with the cheese and creamy avocados. I loved the whole wheat pita crust too. Using pita bread was the perfect solution to cure my pizza craving. This Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce is almost too easy to make. So easy, I might have to make it every day! I have been craving it ever since my first bite! Give it a try!
And now for some exciting book news! We are now offering a printed version of Cookie Cravings! Yay! You can purchase a printed copy of Cookie Cravings through Blurb. So if you want to take a hard copy of Cookie Cravings into the kitchen with you, purchase a copy today! I hope to see vanilla and chocolate stains on those pages:) Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and Cookie Cravings would make a great gift for any mom! Maybe bake mom a batch of cookies to go with the book-you will get bonus points:) Enter the code BEAMAZING at checkout and get 15% off until May 31, 2012. Happy baking friends!
Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce
- To make the Cilantro Sauce:
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced and seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the pizza:
- 2 pieces whole wheat pita bread
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2. To make the cilantro sauce: In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, combine cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, green onion, and lime juice. Pulse until combined and roughly chopped. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Divide the sauce and spread evenly on pita bread pieces. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Place pita pizzas on a large baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven. Top pizzas with avocado slices. Sprinkle with salt. Cut into pieces and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Avocado Pita Pizza with Cilantro Sauce, you might also like: