Today is a special day. It is Josh’s birthday and we have our “big” appointment. We find out what we are having today. Will our little pea be a boy or a girl? Any guesses? To celebrate Josh’s birthday I made him a Blueberry Buckle Cake. Josh isn’t a huge cake fan, but he loves anything with streusel topping.
Blueberry buckle is a single layered cake filled with juicy blueberries and covered with streusel topping. The cake is dense and reminds me of coffee cake or a giant blueberry muffin.
Blueberry buckle can be eaten for breakfast or dessert. I cut Josh a large piece and poured him a glass of milk. He devoured his birthday treat and gave me a big smooch.
I am glad Josh enjoyed his birthday Blueberry Buckle Cake. I will have to make it for him more often. Stay tuned to find out what we are having! We can’t wait to share our good news:)
Blueberry Buckle Cake
- For the topping:
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- For the batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
- 2. To make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Rub in the butter using your finger tips until the mixture is crumbly. Set the topping aside.
- 3. To make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and vanilla, mix until smooth. Alternately add the buttermilk and the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, ending with flour. Stir only enough to blend. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- 4. Pour the batter evenly into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the topping over the batter and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the buckle cool for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife. Holding the cake pan in your left hand, gently tip the cake out onto your right hand, remove the pan, and gently place the cake onto a serving dish.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Blueberry Buckle, you might also like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Cake from Two Peas and Their Pod
Blueberry Buckle Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze from Sugar Plum
Blueberry Cake from Vanilla Sugar