Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce – how to make bread pudding with a delicious bread pudding sauce worthy of any celebration! This easy bread pudding recipe is what dreams are made of.
A Perfected Bread Pudding Recipe
Today is my dad’s birthday and we are celebrating with his favorite dessert – Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce. I love celebrating birthdays, especially when dessert is involved:) And we love celebrating my dad because he is the BEST dad on the planet.
My dad came to visit us for Christmas and we made this bread pudding on Christmas Day. We’ve both made bread pudding before, but not together, and we wanted to perfect our recipes. Well, we did it because we both loved this bread pudding and so did everyone else at the dinner table.
My dad keeps asking me for the recipe. I wrote it down in my secret blog notebook, and told him I would share it soon. Well, soon ended up being February, but hey, it makes a great birthday present:)
Tips for How to Make Bread Pudding
So what makes a perfect bread pudding? Here are my top three tips.
- Start with stale French bread. You want to use stale bread so the bread will absorb all of the custard. If you don’t have stale bread, you can toast it in the oven to dry it out. You don’t want a soggy bread pudding, or at least I don’t:)
- Add plenty of cinnamon and raisins. If you don’t like raisins, you can leave them out, but if you know my dad, you know raisins are his favorite food. I think that is why bread pudding is my dad’s favorite dessert. It’s just another excuse to eat raisins:)
- Don’t skip the bread pudding sauce. Make the simple vanilla custard sauce to pour over the bread pudding. You will want to lick it off your plate.
Birthday or Anyday Bread Pudding
Dad – we are sticking a candle in your piece of bread pudding and singing happy birthday! We hope you enjoy your special dessert and special day. We love you!
And if you don’t have a birthday to celebrate, you can still enjoy Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce. It is the perfect dessert for winter. You can’t beat a warm piece of bread pudding with the delicious bread pudding sauce. Comfort food at it’s finest!
Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 50 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 5 minutes
- 8 -10 Servings
For the Bread Pudding:
- 1 loaf stale French bread cut into 1-inch squares (about 7 cups)
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the Vanilla Custard Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Put the bread and milk in a large bowl and mix until all of the milk is absorbed.
- 2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and allspice together. Pour the mixture over the bread and stir to combine. Gently stir in the raisins.
- 3. Pour butter into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Coat the bottom and the sides of the pan with the butter. Pour in the bread mix and bake for 40 minutes, or until the bread pudding is set and the corners are slightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack while you make the custard sauce.
- 4. To make the vanilla custard sauce, heat the milk and cream in a medium saucepan until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until combined and a light yellow color. Temper the egg yolks by whisking in a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture, until you've added about half of the cream mixture. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the pan with the remaining cream mixture and stir over medium heat with a wooden spoon until the custard thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum extract, if using.
- 5. Cut the bread pudding into squares and drizzle vanilla custard sauce over each piece.
- Note-the bread pudding is best served warm.
If you like this Bread Pudding with Vanilla Custard Sauce, you might also like: