Brown Butter Chex Mix-browned butter makes this Chex Mix even better than the traditional snack mix!
Over the weekend we snuggled in and watched our favorite Christmas movies. One with the kiddos and one after they went to bed. You can’t watch a movie without some good snackage, so we made popcorn AND Brown Butter Chex Mix. That’s right, my brown butter obsession continues! I kicked up the traditional Chex Mix by adding brown butter to the mix! So easy and so good! I couldn’t keep my hands out of the Brown Butter Chex Mix bowl!
We make Chex Mix every holiday season. The smell and taste is Christmas to me! I love making it for movie nights, holiday parties, gifts, and just to have around. It is the perfect snack to pull out for guests, kids, and when you have eaten too many cookies! Sometimes, you just need a good savory snack to balance out all of the sugar and Chex Mix is always a winner!
The brown butter makes the traditional Chex Mix recipe a little bit better. The Chex Mix still has the same great flavor, but has an extra hint of nuttiness from the browned butter! It is a nice touch to one of my favorite snack mixes!
We don’t add nuts to our Chex Mix, because Josh is allergic, but feel free to add in a handful of peanuts or mixed nuts! Nuts and brown butter will make your Chex Mix all kind of nutty:)
Make a batch of Brown Butter Chex Mix and turn on your favorite holiday movie! It is time to relax and enjoy what is left of the holiday season! And if you having a killer New Year’s party, I highly recommend you invite Brown Butter Chex Mix to the party! It is the perfect party food! Enjoy!
Brown Butter Chex Mix
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and continue to cook, swirling occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl.
- In a large microwavable safe bowl, combine the Chex cereal, pretzels, and Cheerios. Stir to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to the brown butter. Stir until combined. Pour butter mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread Chex Mix on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
- Note-you can make this in the oven. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. After you pour the butter mixture over the cereal mixture and stir, pour the Chex Mix on a large baking sheet and place in the oven for one hour. Stir every 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool before eating!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
This looks amazing and so addictive!
Is there ANYTHING that Brown Butter doesn’t make totally awesome and insanely delicious?
And this Chex Mix is just that – Super yummy and perfect for Christmas snackage! Pinned 😀
Anything with brown butter is perfect in my book! I love chex mix for huge gatherings!!
Such a fun snack mix!!
LOVE! I need to make a big batch today. Merry Christmas Maria! XOXO
The perfect snack! You can’t go wrong with brown butter:)
I need many handfuls of this right now!
Way.too.addictive!! I would eat the whole batch 🙂 Pinned!
I am TOTALLY trying this. Love Chex Mix!!
Wow! Looks great! I will totally be making this! I have been following your blog for a few years now and I have never made a recipe of yours that wasn’t excellent!
Chex Mix is a favorite in this house and we are always looking for new variations to try. Sounds delicious!
You took the perfect holiday snack and made it even better!!! YUM!!!
I need a batch of this right now!!!
Oh my I wish I could eat this for breakfast lunch and dinner. Maybe Santa will me a whole bunch of Chex cereal under the tree.
Snack time just got that much better!
Swear to God, I nearly just burned my house down making this recipe! I put the Chex Mix in the microwave for 2 minute, stirred it, put it in for another 2 minutes, and when I pulled it out after the total of 4 minutes in the microwave on high, it was smoking and black and burned a hole in the bottom of my Tupperware! So I’m going to give it a shot in the oven next time lol. Maybe my microwave is super-powered?
I use this recipe every time for my Chex Mix. The browned butter takes the flavors up a notch and everyone comments on how tasty the mix is.