Cabbage Salad- this colorful cabbage salad is made with shredded cabbage, red pepper, mango, avocado, fresh herbs, green onion, chopped nuts, and a simple soy ginger sesame dressing. It is pretty to serve and delicious to eat!
Let me introduce you to one of the BEST salads ever! This Cabbage Salad may not sound that exciting, but it is one of my all-time favorite salads.
The colors, flavors, and textures are SO good. I love everything about it and whenever I make it for friends and family, they beg for the recipe.
The base of the salad is shredded cabbage. I love using cabbage because it is hearty, crunchy, and holds up nicely. I use green and purple cabbage because I love the pop of color from the purple cabbage.
I top the cabbage with red bell pepper, mango, avocado, green onion, fresh herbs, and salty nuts. Drizzle with a soy ginger dressing, toss, and garnish with sesame seeds.
The salad is GORGEOUS! I love all of the vibrant colors. Plus, it is SO fresh and delicious. It hits the spot every single time. This one is a MUST make!
Table of Contents
- Cabbage– shredded green and purple (red) cabbage. You can use a sharp knife to shred the cabbage or use a food processor.
- Bell pepper– I use red, but orange or yellow would work too.
- Mango– pick a ripe mango that is juicy and sweet.
- Avocado– avocado makes every salad better!
- Green onion– sliced!
- Fresh herbs– fresh mint and Thai basil (or regular basil).
- Jalapeño– for a little heat.
- Nuts– chopped cashews or peanuts for a salty crunch.
- Sesame seeds– for garnish.
The dressing only takes a few minutes to whisk up and adds SO much flavor to the salad. You will need the following ingredients:
- Lime juice
- Avocado oil or olive oil
- Soy sauce– I recommend lite soy sauce. If you need the recipe to be gluten-free use Tamari or coconut aminos.
- Ginger– use fresh ginger and grate with a microplane.
- Sesame oil– a little goes a long way so be careful when measuring.
How to Make Cabbage Salad
- First make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, red pepper, mango, avocado, green onion, mint, basil, and jalapeño.
- Add the dressing and toss with tongs until slaw is coated.
- Stir in the cashews or peanuts, if using.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
- Add chicken, shrimp, salmon, or steak.
- Toss in some tofu for a great plant based protein option.
- Add in extra veggies! Broccoli, carrots, snap peas, and cucumber are all good options.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Instead of cashews or peanuts, you can use almonds.
You can serve the cabbage salad as a light lunch or dinner or as a side dish to any meal. Here are a few of our favorite dishes that pair nicely with the salad.
- Soy Ginger Chicken
- Steak Kabobs
- Grilled Salmon
- Lettuce Wraps
- Beef Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Chicken or Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
How to Store
After the salad is tossed in the dressing, it is best the day it is made.
If you want to prep the salad in advance, you can make the dressing and keep it in a glass jar or container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Whisk before using.
You can also chop the up the cabbage in advance. Store it in an airtight container or bag and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More Salad Recipes
- Sesame Ginger Rice Salad
- Asian Quinoa Salad
- Sesame Ginger Carrot Salad
- Simple Kale Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
For the Dressing:
For the Salad:
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 large mango, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil or regular basil
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, red pepper, mango, avocado, green onion, mint, basil, and jalapeno.
- Add the dressing and toss with tongs until slaw is coated. Stir in the cashews or peanuts, if using. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod