Charred Corn & Avocado Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Salad with charred corn, avocado, poblano peppers, cotija cheese, and a simple cilantro lime dressing. This healthy gluten-free salad is a summer favorite!
Yes, I am posting another quinoa salad. I hope you aren’t rolling your eyes at me right now because you need this Charred Corn & Avocado Quinoa Salad in your life. It’s a keeper!
I know I kind of have a quinoa obsession, but I post what we eat and this summer we are on a quinoa kick. I hope you are getting on board with quinoa because it’s pretty amazing! And if you haven’t tried quinoa, it’s not too late, you should start with this Charred Corn & Avocado Quinoa Salad. You will be hooked for life.
For this salad, I used red quinoa because it’s what we had in our cabinet and I do love the color it adds. You can use regular quinoa if that is what you have on hand. I like to buy our quinoa in bulk at Whole Foods or at Costco. It’s pretty easy to find these days.
Sweet corn is so good right now. We stop by a local farmers stand almost every day and pick up a few ears for dinner. It’s a summer staple at our house. For this salad, we charred the corn on the grill before adding it to the salad. I love the smoky flavor it adds. We also charred poblano peppers on the grill. Poblano peppers are a mild pepper, so don’t be afraid to add them in. They won’t burn your tongue off:)
The quinoa salad also has avocados and cotija cheese. They add a wonderful creaminess to the salad. Cotija cheese is a Mexican cheese and can be found at most markets. If you can’t find it, feta cheese is a good substitute. The cilantro lime dressing is light, refreshing, and simple to make!
We’ve made this Charred Corn & Avocado Quinoa Salad several times and every time I love it more! I could eat it every day for the rest of the summer…and maybe I will! I think you should too! Enjoy!
Charred Corn and Avocado Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Salad with charred corn, avocado, poblano peppers, cotija cheese, and a simple cilantro lime dressing. This gluten-free salad is a summer favorite!
Yield: Serves 6-8
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
For the Salad:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red quinoa
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ears grilled sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
- 2 roasted poblano peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup cotija cheese
- 2 avocados, chopped, pit and skin removed
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Using a strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold water. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, sweet corn, poblano peppers, cilantro, cotija cheese, and avocados.
- To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and stir until mixed well. Taste salad and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately or chilled.
Note-Place the corn and poblano peppers on a hot grill until they are black and charred. Remove the black skin on the peppers, and dice. If you can’t find red quinoa you can use regular quinoa. Cotija cheese is a Mexican cheese and you can find it at most markets. If you can’t find it, feta is a good substitution. This salad will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Charred Corn & Avocado Quinoa Salad, you might also like: