Greek Quinoa Salad
Who’s excited for Memorial Day weekend? We sure are! My dad is visiting this week so we are having a little barbecue at our house. Josh is going to grill up some chicken and veggies and I am going to make a few salads and sides. Oh, and of course there will be dessert-I am making my Mini Fruit Pizzas.
I asked Josh what salads I should make for the barbecue and he requested my Greek Quinoa Salad-it is one of his favorites. It is high on my list too, so of course I added it to our menu! This Greek Quinoa Salad is simple to make and is perfect for any Memorial Day party.
This Greek Quinoa Salad has all of the same flavors as a traditional Greek Salad, but I added quinoa. I love the texture and heartiness the quinoa adds. It is great served along side grilled vegetables, chicken, or fish.
You can also serve this Greek Quinoa Salad as a main dish. During the summer months, we eat this salad for dinner all of the time-I am always trying to use up our garden tomatoes and cucumbers:) I usually cut up some watermelon for dessert and call it good! A perfect summer meal if you ask me!
If you are looking for a simple salad to make for your Memorial Day barbecue, give this Greek Quinoa Salad a try. I am sure you will be making it all summer long after you make it once. It’s a winner!
Have a fun and safe holiday weekend!
Greek Quinoa Salad
A simple quinoa salad with all of your favorite Greek flavors.
Yield: Serves 6
For the Salad:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To make the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Using a strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold water. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, red onion, and feta cheese.
- To make the dressing, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, and oregano in a small bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and stir until mixed well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!
If you like this Greek Quinoa Salad, you might also like: