Chickpea Farro Soup-tomato based soup with chickpeas, farro, and spinach. This healthy and hearty soup is perfect for a cold day.
First of all, I have a Golden Globes hangover…not an alcohol hangover, I don’t drink, but a…I stayed up too late at the Golden Globes party in LA, had too much fun stalking stars, and ate too much Lindt chocolate kind of hangover. I had SO much fun last night! I will share more about my Golden Globes experience soon, but let’s talk about this Chickpea Farro Soup today. I wish I had a bowl right now to help me with my party hangover:)
I created this soup in December and instantly fell in love. It is so easy and SO good!
I wanted to share the recipe with you in December, right after I made it, but I was too busy sharing holiday treats. Oops!
Well, the wait is over, now you can enjoy this healthy and hearty soup too! I figured January was a good time to share a healthy soup recipe, you guys are over cookies and moving on to healthier things. Cookie lovers, don’t worry, I will be back with more cookie recipes soon, I am just taking a little break:)
So this soup is probably in my top five favorite soups of all-time. I told you it was good! I love everything about this soup. It is easy to make, filled with healthy goodness like onion, carrots, celery, garlic, tomatoes, vegetable broth, chickpeas, farro, and spinach.
It tastes even better on a cold day and with a crusty piece of bread for dunking! Mmmmmm!
Make this Chickpea Farro Soup ASAP! You will love it!
Chickpea Farro Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 30 oz vegetable broth
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with juices
- 15 oz chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups cooked farro
- 1 cup packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated, for serving, optional
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and bay leaves and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Add the farro and spinach and stir just until the spinach is wilted. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle into soup bowls and serve warm. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note-to cook the farro, rinse and drain ¾ cup farro. Place in a pot and add enough water to cover. Add a little salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25 minutes. Drain any excess water. OR you can buy Trader Joe’s 10 minute farro, it is my favorite and only takes 10 minutes to cook. For vegan, omit the Parmesan cheese.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod