Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake-moist chocolate sour cream bundt cake drizzled with a silky smooth chocolate glaze and garnished with crushed peppermint candies. This cake is the perfect holiday dessert!
Our Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake is one of our most popular recipes on our blog and I know why you guys like it, it is the BEST chocolate cake. Well, I decided to make a holiday version of our favorite chocolate cake so you would all have a festive dessert to serve at your holiday parties and dinners. This Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake is FABULOUS! If you like our original chocolate bundt cake recipe, you will LOVE this holiday version.
There is something magical about chocolate and peppermint together, especially during the holidays. I love the combo, I have been making dozens of Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies and now I am obsessed with this cake!
The chocolate cake is perfection. It is everything a chocolate cake should be-moist, chocolaty, and oh so decadent. I added peppermint extract to the cake batter to make it extra special for the holiday season.
When the cake comes out of the oven and is completely cooled, it gets drizzled with a silky and smooth chocolate glaze. Next, comes the fun part. I sprinkle crushed candy canes over the cake to add a nice peppermint crunch. The cake is SO pretty and is the perfect holiday dessert.
This Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake is Christmas cake perfection! If you want to go all out, you can serve it with peppermint or vanilla ice cream, but the cake is fantastic on it’s own. It is sure to be everyone’s favorite holiday dessert. Enjoy!
Photography by: Sarah Fennel // Broma Bakery
Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
For the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter plus more for the pan
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder we use Dutch processed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for the pan
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate glaze:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies for decorating
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream, peppermint extract, and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- 4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a wire cooling rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
- 5. While the cake is cooling, make the chocolate glaze. Place the chopped chocolate and corn syrup in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- 6. Drizzle the glaze over the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes or peppermint candies. Cut into pieces and serve.
- Note-if you don't have sour cream, you can use plain Greek yogurt instead. The cake will keep on the counter for 2-3 days. Be careful when covering it because the glaze will stick to plastic wrap. I like to cover it with a cake topper.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod