Chorizo Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Chipotle Mayo-grilled cheese sandwich with chorizo, cheddar cheese, jalapeño, and chipotle mayo.
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and we have been celebrating all month long. I already shared my latest and greatest grilled cheese sandwich recipe, Blueberry, Brie, and Lemon Curd Grilled Cheese. I hope you have tried it. If not, there is still time:) It is a must make!
Today, Josh is sharing his favorite grilled cheese sandwich, Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo. This savory grilled cheese is spicy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor!
Josh loves spicy food and rarely thinks anything is too spicy. I like spicy food, but I am kind of wimp. I can only tolerate a little beat of heat. Josh has a mouth of steel compared to me:)
Josh’s Chorizo Grilled Cheese is loaded with spicy flavors. Chorizo, cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices, and chipotle mayo are sandwiched between two slices of buttery grilled bread. I watched Josh make his sandwich and he piled on the jalapeño slices. I told him he might want to cut back on the jalapeños so he could taste his sandwich, but he said no way!
Josh devoured his grilled cheese sandwich and didn’t even reach for a glass of water. He said it was perfect! My eyes were watering while I watched him eat his sandwich:) If you can’t handle the heat, like me, you can use fewer jalapeño slices or omit them. Josh loves them though!
Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with Josh’s favorite sandwich, Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo. Happy grilled cheesing!
Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo
- For the Chipotle Mayo:
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- For the Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Chorizo sausage 6 ounces, thinly sliced
- 4 slices sturdy bread Josh uses sourdough
- 1 small jalapeño thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- 1. First, make the chipotle mayo. In a small bowl, stir together mayo, chopped chipotle pepper, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or grill pan, cook the sliced chorizo over medium high heat, flipping once, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Place the chorizo on paper towels to drain the grease. Wipe out the pan.
- 3. Butter the bread slices on 1 side. Spread the unbuttered sides with chipotle mayo. Layer cheese, chorizo, sliced jalapeños and more cheese on top of the chipotle mayo sides of bread. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices, turning the buttered side up.
- 4. Place the sandwiches back in the skillet or on the grill pan and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
- Note-You can find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the Mexican section of most grocery stores. You can also find chorizo sausage at most grocery stores.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod