Chorizo Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Chipotle Mayo-grilled cheese sandwich with chorizo, cheddar cheese, jalapeño, and chipotle mayo.
April is National Grilled Cheese Month and we have been celebrating all month long. I already shared my latest and greatest grilled cheese sandwich recipe, Blueberry, Brie, and Lemon Curd Grilled Cheese. I hope you have tried it. If not, there is still time:) It is a must make!
Today, Josh is sharing his favorite grilled cheese sandwich, Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo. This savory grilled cheese is spicy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor!
Josh loves spicy food and rarely thinks anything is too spicy. I like spicy food, but I am kind of wimp. I can only tolerate a little beat of heat. Josh has a mouth of steel compared to me:)
Josh’s Chorizo Grilled Cheese is loaded with spicy flavors. Chorizo, cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices, and chipotle mayo are sandwiched between two slices of buttery grilled bread. I watched Josh make his sandwich and he piled on the jalapeño slices. I told him he might want to cut back on the jalapeños so he could taste his sandwich, but he said no way!
Josh devoured his grilled cheese sandwich and didn’t even reach for a glass of water. He said it was perfect! My eyes were watering while I watched him eat his sandwich:) If you can’t handle the heat, like me, you can use fewer jalapeño slices or omit them. Josh loves them though!
Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with Josh’s favorite sandwich, Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo. Happy grilled cheesing!
Chorizo Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Mayo
- For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- For the Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Chorizo sausage 6 ounces, thinly sliced
- 4 slices sturdy bread Josh uses sourdough
- 1 small jalapeño thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- 1. First, make the chipotle mayo. In a small bowl, stir together mayo, chopped chipotle pepper, lime juice, and salt. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or grill pan, cook the sliced chorizo over medium high heat, flipping once, until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Place the chorizo on paper towels to drain the grease. Wipe out the pan.
- 3. Butter the bread slices on 1 side. Spread the unbuttered sides with chipotle mayo. Layer cheese, chorizo, sliced jalapeños and more cheese on top of the chipotle mayo sides of bread. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices, turning the buttered side up.
- 4. Place the sandwiches back in the skillet or on the grill pan and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
- Note-You can find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the Mexican section of most grocery stores. You can also find chorizo sausage at most grocery stores.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
I love grilled cheese and this is a grrat spiced twjst the the chorizo and chipotle mayo. Yum
Oh my gosh, my husband would go crazy for this! He adores chorizo…and cheese (that’s a given with any human methinks) so I’ll need to try this! Pinned!
Anything with chipotle is good in my book. Put chipotle in a grilled cheese and I’m pretty sure you’ve hit a homerun. 🙂
Now that’s a good looking grilled cheese! These flavors are my favorite!
Love these flavors!! This is the perfect lunch for today!
What a tasty grilled cheese and I love the layers of spicy heat!
LOVE this. Love the spiciness, and did you save me one? I’m coming for lunch today! 🙂
OMG! Love chorizo!
Chorizo is right up my alley but being from Spain of course it is 🙂 Great looking sandwich.
Dreamy grilled cheese!
looks so great Maria!
Your Scalloped potato casserole was awesome! Quite a hit at the Easter hamathon. Thank you both for your inspiration!
So glad you liked the potatoes. We had them for Easter dinner too!
Oh wow! What an awesome flavor combo! We do “fancy” sandwiches one night a week, I am adding this to my list!
Yummy!! Love this way of making grilled cheese – chorizo has got to be one of my favs ever!
Chipotle mayo – yes please! pinned
I love a spicy grilled cheese, this looks amazing!
Great sandwich! LOVE the chipotle mayo! Pinned. 🙂
YES for grilled cheese! We do grilled cheese at least once a week, so I love seeing new ideas like this smoky number.
Chipotle mayo sounds awesome…we struggle to find chipotle peppers here in Paris, but I think we might be able to find some in London when we head up there in May. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the great grilled cheese alternative.
I love a good grill cheese and this one looks great!
I’m sitting here thinking about what I can have for lunch and I clicked on this post!! wish I had this in front of me right now!!
See you later this week Maria!!
I so need this cheesy sandwich in my life. I love any and all things spicy. Nom!
YUM. Grilled cheese sounds delicious. Would definetely cut back on the peppers though. I’m such a wimp.
I can’t wait to try this recipe… ¡qué deliciosa! Your posts are so awesome.
A mouth of steel, huh. Well I probably fall in the wimpy line albeit I do like spicy and a bit of a nip. This is truly an AWESOME sandwich. And this semi-wimp can’t wait to try it.
Normally mayo on grilled cheese is a no-go for me, but chipotle mayo + chorizo sounds pretty amazing. I will have to give it a go…with no jalapenos for my wussy tongue ;P
What a great sandwich! The chipotle mayo … genius! Yum! Pinned.
Looks fabulous, especially with that chipotle mayo!!
This looks amazing! I forgot about grilled cheese month, but this will definitely have me celebrating soon. Thanks for the great Chipotle mayo recipe, I’ve been trying to find a spicy mayo but haven’t had luck until now 🙂
Yes please! I love both grilled cheese AND chorizo…how perfect to put them together!
My mouth is watering. This looks sooo tasty!
Is the chorizo called for Spanish or Mexican?