Cookies and Cream Cupcakes-chocolate cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting and an Oreo surprise inside! They are perfect for any celebration!
I love you guys so we are starting the week with CUPCAKES! And not just any cupcakes, but Cookies and Cream Cupcakes. These cupcakes are all kinds of amazing because they are chocolate cupcakes with an Oreo cookie hidden inside! Plus, the cupcakes get topped with cookies and cream frosting and an itty bitty Oreo cookie. Monday isn’t looking so bad, huh?
I used my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe for the base of the cupcakes. It is my go to! I placed an Oreo cookie inside of each cupcake, because why not? If you are going to have a cupcake, HAVE a cupcake!
Our boys got super excited when they discovered the Oreo inside. A cupcake AND a cookie, they were in dessert heaven! Oh, and the cookies and cream frosting is amazing. I normally scrape the frosting off of cupcakes, but not these cupcakes. The frosting is probably my favorite part. It tastes just like cookies and cream ice cream, which I love. It is magical and I want to eat it by the pint…or maybe even gallon!
I top the cookies with a mini Oreo cookie because they are just so cute! Cute and delicious cupcakes are a good thing:)
Trust me, you need these Cookies and Cream Cupcakes in your life, especially on a Monday! Enjoy my friends!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 28 Oreo cookies
For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped Oreo cookies
- Mini Oreo cookies for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute or until batter is smooth. Slowly pour in boiling water and mix until batter is smooth. Don't over mix.
- Place an Oreo cookie at the bottom of each paper liner. Fill liners ½ full with batter, covering the cookie. Bake cupcakes for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Using a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. With the mixer on low, add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until all of the powdered sugar is added. Beat in the vanilla and milk. Mix until smooth. Beat in the chopped Oreo cookies. Mix until combined.
- Place the frosting in a pastry bag and frost. Top with mini Oreo cookie, if desired. Serve!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
You scrape the frosting off of cupcakes? That’s often the best part!
I have to agree with you on these cupcakes, they look amazing! I would be excited too if I found a cookie inside 🙂
I usually do, but not with this frosting. I love it!
I’m with you on the frosting-scraping-off. Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but it’s just not usually my thing. However, if this really tastes like cookies ‘n’ cream ice cream, well, you might’ve won me over. I’ll give it a shot 🙂
You have to try this one…it is so good! Too good!
hey girl this is right up my alley! Yummy!
Love your blog and recipes. Everything I’ve tried has been great (unlike some recipes I’ve tried from other blogs). Does anyone ever make the recipes on blogs? Most of the comments seem to be on the food’s appearance. My favorite recipe is your Lemon Blueberry Struesel coffee cake — I just made it again this weekend.
Thanks so much!
Go big or go home when it comes to cupcakes! My daughter is totally going to freak out over these! She adores cookies and cream, anything!
I agree! I hope she likes them!
This is the best way to HAVE a cupcake!! I’ll take one for every Monday, please 🙂
Oh my, these look so good! Love the mini oreos, they’re adorable! 🙂
I made them for the family this weekend! They are insanely good!!!
I halfed the amount of boiling water, as I was adding it I felt the batter was already too thin by that point. They still came out great, the taste and texture were on point. I will be making them again for sure.
Glad you liked the cupcakes!
When you chop the cookies for the frosting do you remove the cream from the cookies or leave it in?
Is there a good way to make these in advance?
I would bake the cupcakes the day before and frost the day off.
Can I use anything else on top instead of mini Oreo cookies?
Would the flavors still work well with a white cake?
Not sure how but I managed to get the cookies to float to the top! I creamed the sugar, oil and milk and then added the dry ingredients except for crushed oreos instead of cocoa. I added a cup of crushed oreos after adding the cup of boiling water and the end so it stayed looking cookies n creme and not like a chocolate cupcake. This made the batter very thin but ended up coming out fantastic.