I don’t bake cakes very often because I don’t have the patience or talent for decorating. I do enjoy making sheet cakes though. They are easy to make and feed a crowd. My Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is one of my favorite desserts. I love the chocolate and peanut butter combo!
My blogging buddy, Jenny, is having a baby any day now and to celebrate we are throwing her a virtual shower today. YAY! Jenny loves Oreos so I decided to make a Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake for her shower. I added Oreos into the chocolate cake and topped it with cream cheese frosting and Oreo cookie pieces. It is the perfect cake for celebrating!
The sheet cake is a breeze to bake and the frosting whips up in no time. You really can’t go wrong with chocolate, cream cheese frosting, and Oreos. Everyone will be begging for a slice. And the good thing about this cake is that it feeds the masses. It is the perfect cake for parties and potlucks.
The only problem with a virtual shower is you can’t actually have a piece of this Cookies ‘n Cream Sheet Cake. I guess I will have to eat it all by myself…maybe I will share with Josh:) I guess he can be invited to this baby shower!
Cookies 'n Cream Sheet Cake
For the Chocolate Sheet Cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup chopped Oreo cookies
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oreo cookies chopped-for topping the cake
- To make the sheet cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a sheet pan with cooking spray and set aside. I use an 11 x 17 jelly roll pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa powder and hot water. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir in the egg mixture and mix until ingredients are combined. Stir in the chopped Oreo cookies.
- Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and tap on the counter a few times to distribute the cake batter evenly. Bake the cake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- While the cake is baking, make the cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, sifted powdered sugar, and vanilla together. Beat with the beater blade until smooth and creamy.
- When the cake is completely cool, frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with chopped up Oreo cookies. Cut into squares and serve.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
oh Maria this is the perfect cake for Jenny!! and I know my family would LOVE it!
This looks equal parts beautiful and delicious! I need me a slice!
What a lovely sheet cake! simple, easy, crowd-pleaser. 🙂 If I were you, I’d keep it all to myself!
What a great cake! I love a good sheet cake, and this cookies n’ cream version is insane! What a great thing to share for the shower.
I love sheet cakes! The oreo pieces on frosting make for a perfect decoration on it. Love this virtual baby shower!!
Maria, I about died at 4 am while I was feeding my baby and reading your post. (That’s about the time I read all of your posts so thanks for posting so early–helps me stay awake during those feedings!) I wanted cookies and cream sheet cake for breakfast!! Looks so amazing, and perfect for a shower:)
I love the ease of sheet cakes too! You’ve got me drooling over this one. I’m a sucker for cookies & cream.
desperately need this in my life!
Maria, this is the perfect cake to celebrate Jenny!! So glad you could join in the FUN 🙂
Fun cake for our sweet Jenny! It’s perfect!
I Bet Jenny would adore this cake! I know I would!!!!
I love this! I’ve always wanted to try making a sheet cake
i’ll take the whole cake with a big glass of milk…yum!
This looks so good Maria!
So JENNY with the OREOS!
Love that you added oreos to the cake batter!
Also love that black and white polka dot straw.
YAY for baby boys!! Oh, you really can’t go wrong with a sheet cake, especially this one!
You know, I never make sheet cakes and I don’t know why! I love making cake, but am a horrible decorator (it’s one of my goals to get better!) and I usually end up frustrated. This sheet cake looks glorious with all the Oreo goodness. Yay for Jenny!! 🙂
Oh yum! I don’t make cakes for the exact same reason!! So this one is doable!!!
Sheet cakes are the best because they don’t require any fancy frosting skills! And of course this flavor is insanely good looking.
This is so great! Wish I had a slice right now.
What a fun recipe, Maria. This looks like so much fun to make (and eat). I’m always looking for a fun sheet cake recipe for friends birthday parties and this one is on my radar to make next.
What a fun cake! I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t like a piece. Or two!
You two are my go-to gals for recipe blogs when I want to cook or bake. Congrats to Jenny! I happen to agree, the combination sounds perfect!
Great recipe, Maria! I am loving all these wonderful creations for Jenny’s baby shower. So drool-worthy 😀
This sounds simply amazing, can’t wait to make it! The hubs loves cookies ‘n cream ANYTHING! It is so sweet that everyone got together and threw a virtual baby shower, I wonder how much time was put into planning something that grandiose! 🙂
this looks so good- my kids would just freak out for a big piece of this cake!
Um, yes please!
I could eat this entire pan! What an awesome cake!
I made this cake for Labor Day and it was a hit! Everyone couldn’t stop raving about! Thanks for the recipe!
This is excellent! Easy and yummy.
I helped to host a baby shower this past weekend, and my friend brought this oreo sheet cake to the shower. SO good! Loved it – the frosting is incredible. I also am more of a fan of sheet cakes than decorative cakes :0) Thanks for the amazing recipe.
Really want to make these this week by Thursday. Please let me know if they’re Oreo biscuits or ores cookies that are added to the chocolate chest cake for baking. Thanks. Looks super yummy!
I use Oreo cookies
Awesome! Even after just moving in, with minimal baking equipment, I managed to make a batch for a potluck and everyone loved them! Great recipe!
I’m making this ahead of time. Will the frosting and cookie crumbles on top hold up? any tips?
How far in advance? It should be fine a day in advance. If you are doing it 2 days in advance maybe wait to put the cookie crumbles on?
These cookies and cream sheet cake absolutely something new for me! Looks yummy! I’m also gonna pin this post on my Pinterest board my followers will love it. Thanks for sharing!
See More Comments