Dark Chocolate Chili Cookies-rich chocolate cookies with a hint of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and chunks of dark chocolate chili chocolate! Have a glass of milk nearby because these cookies have a kick!
I am dusting off my sombrero because tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo! I am ready to PARTY! And when I say party, that means a festive dinner at home with my boys. Hey, we might get a little wild and turn on some mariachi music. Or maybe we will do some salsa dancing, see, I told you things might get wild:)
Yesterday, we shared the perfect Cheesy Guacamole recipe to kick of the festivities and today we are moving on to dessert! These Dark Chocolate Chili Cookies need to be added to your Cinco de Mayo right now!
We all know guacamole is a MUST on Cinco de Mayo, but dessert sometimes gets forgotten. Well, not in our house. I NEVER forget about dessert. When we go out to eat, I usually look at the dessert menu first so I can plan my meal. If dessert looks good, I order a healthy entree so I can justify splurging on dessert. And sometimes I order two or three desserts because I can’t make up my mind:)
I tasted the Lindt EXCELLENCE Chili dark chocolate bar for the first time on my trip to New Hampshire. I was a little scared to try it because I am usually a wimp when it comes to spicy things. Everyone said it wasn’t too spicy so I gave into peer pressure and took a bite. I am so glad I did because I LOVE this chocolate bar. The spicy flavor of red chili paired with dark chocolate is amazing! I knew as soon as I tasted it that it belonged in a cookie.
I have been waiting for Cinco de Mayo to roll around so I could make my special Dark Chocolate Chili Cookies. The cookies are rich, fudgy, and have a hint of cinnamon. Trust me on the chocolate and cinnamon combo, it’s a winner. Next, comes the spicy part. I added a little cayenne pepper and the Lindt EXCELLENCE Chili chocolate chunks.
When you first bite into the cookie, you won’t even notice the heat. It comes at the end and it is a nice surprise. The heat isn’t overwhelming and it won’t make your eyes water or your face turn red, but you might want to have a glass of milk nearby, just in case. I am not brave when it comes to spicy foods, but I love these cookies. The spicy kick goes so well with the chocolate!
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Dark Chocolate Chili Cookies. They are guaranteed to spice up the party!
Dark Chocolate Chili Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped Lindt EXCELLENCE Chili dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in the chili chocolate chunks. Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and place on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are set, but still soft in the center. Don't overbake. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 3 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Note-store cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You will need 2 (3.5 oz) Lindt EXCELLENCE Chili bars for this recipe. You won't use all of the second bar for the cookies, but you can save the rest for eating!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
This post is in partnership with Lindt Chocolate, but our opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that continue to make Two Peas and Their Pod possible.