Easy Cheese Ball-this simple and delicious cheese ball recipe is a favorite appetizer during the holiday season. It is easy to make and great served with crackers or cut up vegetables.
Cheese Balls are the perfect appetizer for parties, especially during the holiday months. Everybody loves a good cheese ball.
This homemade cheese ball recipe is our family’s favorite! It’s easy to make and always a crowd pleaser.
It’s made with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, garlic powder, a dash of hot sauce, and coated in chopped pecans that add the perfect nutty crunch.
It can be made in advance, which makes it perfect for parties. You can have it chilling in the fridge until it is party time!
Everyone will love digging into this delicious cheese ball. It’s creamy, savory, and so good with crackers and vegetables.
Table of Contents
The cheese ball ingredients are super simple, but taste so good together, all rolled up in a little ball. For this cheese ball recipe, I use the following ingredients.
- Cream cheese– make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature so it is easy to form into a ball.
- Cheddar Cheese– I like to use white cheddar cheese, but regular cheddar is fine too. I recommend using freshly grated cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese.
- Garlic powder– I actually prefer garlic powder over fresh garlic in this recipe. It isn’t too strong and blends in nicely to the cheese.
- Worcestershire Sauce– just a splash! A little goes a long way.
- Green onions– green onions aren’t too strong and give the cheese ball a lot of flavor.
- Hot sauce– just a dash for a little heat.
- Chopped Pecans– to cover the cheese ball.
How to Make a Cheese Ball
- To make the cheese ball, make sure you use cream cheese that is softened. If you take it straight from the refrigerator it will be hard to work with. I like to use my stand mixer to beat the softened cream cheese until it is smooth.
- Next, add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix until combined. Then, add the garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, green onions, and a little dash of hot sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Place the cheese mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and form into a ball. Chill the cheese ball for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and roll in the chopped pecans.
- Add in extra spices or herbs. Chopped parsley, dill, paprika, everything bagel seasoning, and thyme are all good options.
- If you don’t like nuts, you can make a plain cheese ball.
- You can also use a different type of nut. Chopped walnuts, chopped or sliced almonds, or chopped pistachios are all good options.
- You can cover the cheese ball in chopped pretzels. I love the extra salty coating.
- If you like bacon, you can roll the cheese ball in chopped cooked bacon.
- To add a little sweetness, try rolling the cheese ball in dried cranberries.
I like to let the cheese ball sit out on the counter for about 20-30 minutes before enjoying so it is easier to spread. Also, make sure you set out a cheese spreading knife.
Serve the cheese ball with:
- Cut up vegetables
- Baguette slices
- Pita bread
How to Make Ahead and Store
Make Ahead: If you want to make the cheese ball in advance, form it into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container or storage bag. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, roll it in the chopped pecans.
Storing in Fridge: If you start with fresh ingredients, you can store the cheese ball in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Cover any leftovers with plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
How to Freeze: I prefer a freshly made cheese ball, BUT you can freeze cheese balls. Wrap it well in plastic wrap (without nuts) and then add a layer of foil. Place the ball in a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and roll in pecans before serving.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Baked Brie
- Bacon Cheddar Pretzel Cheese Ball
- Pomegranate Guacamole
- Brie, Apple, Honey Crostini
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Holiday Cheese Board
Easy Cheese Ball
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the cheddar cheese and mix until just combined. Add the garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, green onions, and hot sauce. Mix until well combined combined.
- Spoon cheese mixture onto a large sheet of plastic wrap and form into a ball. Wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator. Place chopped pecans on a plate. Unwrap cheese ball and gently roll in pecans, coating well. Place on a serving plate and serve with crackers, cut up vegetables, or baguette slices.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod