This is the best Green Bean Salad Recipe! It’s filled with tomatoes, Parmesan, fresh basil, and a little bit of red onion. I top it off with a zesty homemade dressing and it’s the most perfect side dish for summertime.
Whenever I can get my hands on fresh green beans from the garden or farmers market, I make this Fresh Green Bean Salad. It’s a really quick side dish that goes well with any summer meal. And sometimes it is my meal, with a side of watermelon of course:) Summer perfection!
I love how the short cook time keeps the green beans crispy. This salad is bursting with fresh flavor and nutrition! It’s always a hit at group dinners and even my kids love it. My Green Bean Salad will become your new go-to summer side dish!
- Fresh green beans– trim the ends.
- Grape tomatoes– Cut the tomatoes in half. You can also use cherry tomatoes.
- Parmesan cheese– shredded, use the good stuff!
- Fresh basil– my favorite herb!
- Red onion– for flavor and a pop of color!
- Lemon dressing– you can whisk this up in no time!
How to Blanch Green Beans
The green beans only need a couple minutes of cooking to become just perfect for this salad!
- Start with a large pot of salted water, brought to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for just 2 to 3 minutes. The green beans should be tender but still crisp. Be careful not to overcook them–you don’t want soggy green beans in your salad!
- Drain the green beans and put them in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Let them rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Drain them well and pat dry with a clean towel.
How to Make Green Bean Salad
After the green beans are drained, it’s time to assemble the salad!
- In a large bowl, add the prepared green beans, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, and red onion.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. So easy!
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing and gently toss it with tongs.
- You can serve immediately, but I think the salad is even better after it sits for for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator. The flavors all hangout and become friends:)
This salad goes well with so many different delicious main dishes! Here are some of our favorites!
- Steak Kabobs
- Guacamole Bacon Burger
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Grilled Italian Sausage & Peppers
- Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms
Green Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon golden balsamic vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until green beans are tender but still crisp. Don’t overcook.
- Drain the green beans and put in a large bowl of ice water. Let them sit in the ice bat for 5 minutes. Drain well, pat dry and place the beans on a large platter or in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil, and red onion. Gently toss with tongs.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the green bean salad and gently toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. You can serve immediately, but I recommend chilling for 30 minutes to an hour, so the flavors have time to marinate.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.