Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers served in a bun and topped with marinara sauce, melted mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. The perfect easy summer dinner!
We grill out almost every night during the hot summer months. One of Josh’s favorite quick and easy summer meals are these Grilled Sausage and Peppers. He loves Italian sausage, especially on the grill. You certainly can serve the Italian sausage and peppers plain, but Josh doesn’t stop there. He goes all out! He serves the Italian sausages, peppers, and onions in a bun with marinara sauce, melted mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. Whoa is right! These sausage sandwich rolls are legit!
Don’t worry, this summer meal doesn’t take long, you can have it done in 30 minutes tops!
How to Cook Italian Sausage on the Grill
- You can buy Italian sausage links at almost every grocery store. Josh prefers spicy Italian sausage, but he always buys mild Italian sausage for the boys.
- Heat the grill to medium heat. If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use a grill pan and cook the Italian sausages inside.
- Place the sausages directly on the grill and grill for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- When the sausage is done cooking, transfer the sausage to a dish or plate and tent in foil to keep them warm. You could also place the sausages on a rack in your grill to keep them warm over indirect heat as the veggies cook.
- Grill sliced bell peppers and onions until they have a nice char, about 7-10 minutes. The grilled peppers and onions will give the Italian sausage great flavor.
Italian Sausage Sandwich Roll
Like I mentioned above, you can serve the grilled sausage and peppers as is and you will still have a delicious meal, but Josh goes BIG and creates an amazing sausage sandwich roll. To assemble the rolls:
- Place the grilled Italian sausage in a bun or hoagie roll. Top with grilled peppers and onions. Side note-we leave the peppers and onions off for the kids:)
- Spoon marinara sauce over the top. We like to use our Easy Marinara Sauce, but you can use your favorite store bought marinara sauce.
- Next, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top. To melt the cheese, you can place the assembled rolls on the grill and cook with indirect medium-high heat for a minute or two. You could also place the rolls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Just watch them closely under the broiler because they will heat up fast!
- Garnish the rolls with fresh basil and serve warm!
This Italian sausage recipe is a summer favorite! A sandwich with spicy, juicy Italian sausage, grilled peppers and onions, marinara sauce, lots of melty cheese, and fresh basil…made in 30 minutes. What’s not to love? Get out your grill and enjoy Italian Sausage and Peppers for dinner tonight!
If you like this Italian Sausage recipe, you might also like:
- Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles
- One Pot Sausage Pasta
- Grilled Sausage and Vegetable Foil Packets
- Spicy Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 4 mild or spicy Italian sausages
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & ground black pepper to season
- ½ cup marinara sauce or your favorite store bought sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 buns or rolls of choice
- Fresh basil for garnish if desired
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Prep the veggies: Place the sliced peppers & onions in a medium bowl, then toss with the olive oil and ½ teaspoon each salt & ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Grill the sausage: Place the sausages directly on the grill grates and grill for 5-7 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Once done cooking, transfer the sausage to a dish or plate and tent in foil to keep them warm. You could also place the sausages on a rack in your grill to keep them warm over indirect heat as the veggies cook.
- Grill the veggies: Meanwhile, as the sausage cooks, grill the veggies. Place the veggies in a grill basket over medium heat, and grill for 7-10 minutes, tossing them often, until they are softened and have a nice char.
- Assemble the rolls: Place a sausage in each bun or roll. Top with the grilled peppers and onions, 2 tablespoons of the marinara sauce, and a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese. To melt the cheese, you can place the assembled rolls on the grill and cook with indirect medium-high heat for a minute or two. You could also place the rolls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Jess Larson