I grew up in Illinois where there is an abundance of corn. Every summer we would eat fresh sweet corn for dinner almost every night. I miss Illinois’s sweet corn, but luckily Utah’s sweet corn is pretty tasty as well. My favorite summer meal is corn on the cob, watermelon, and garden tomatoes. Really, what else do you need in the summer? The other day I bought a half a dozen ears of corn from a local farm stand and made a Grilled Corn Salad. I now have a new favorite way to enjoy summer’s sweet corn. This salad is downright delicious.
If you haven’t tried grilled corn, you must. For one, you don’t have to turn on the stove and heat up the house to cook the corn. Most importantly, grilling the corn brings out a delicious smoky flavor. I soaked the corn for a couple of hours and the grilled them right in their husks.
I let the corn cool to room temperature and then removed the corn kernels from the cob. In a large bowl, I combined the corn, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, jalapeno, avocado, and fresh lime juice. I gently stirred all of the ingredients together and seasoned the salad with salt and pepper. The salad is good at room temperature or chilled. We couldn’t wait to try it, so we ate it immediately.
We ate the grilled corn salad plain, but the next day Josh got out the leftover salad and ate it with tortilla chips. It is great both ways. This simple summer salad is fresh, colorful, and full of flavor. Grab some fresh sweet corn this weekend and make Grilled Corn Salad. It is the way to enjoy summer’s sweet corn.
Grilled Corn Salad
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn do not shuck
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed and diced
- 2 avocados seed removed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Pull back the husks on the corn and remove the silk. Pull the husks back into place and soak the corn in a large bowl of water for 2 hours. Drain the corn on paper towels. Heat the grill to medium. Place the ears of corn on the grill and grill for about 20 minutes. Make sure you turn the corn occasionally. Let the corn cool to room temperature.
- 2. Using a knife, remove the corn kernels and place them in a large bowl. Add the red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, jalapeno, avocado, and fresh lime juice. Carefully stir until ingredients are well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Grilled Corn Salad, you might also like:
- Corn Salsa with Lime from Gina’s Skinny Recipes
- Charred Corn Salad from Shutterbean
- Black Bean Salad from Simply Recipes
- Sweet Corn Salad from Two Peas and Their Pod
as a kid we spent many summers in canada. and i was taught, thankfully, that dinner in the summertime meant all fresh produce. we would have grilled corn, big tomatoes with a sprinkle of sugar (it’s really good, custom up there) and grilled onions. Ohh those meals were so good because the corn was so sweet. Hard to find that around here.
this looks just wonderful!
Mmmm, one of my favorite summer dishes
Avocados have always been a star of our salad conversation. I will definitely try your corn with avocado salad.
I love grilled corn and this salad looks like the perfect way to use up a few ears!
This is seriously the perfect summer recipe!!
Made this over the weekend – DEEEELISH!
Hi Maria and thanks for stopping by my blog. I have corn growing in my garden here in England and think I will definitely give this a try when it is ripe. It looks delicious!
Beautiful salad and the perfect accompaniment to all the great grilled summer foods!
Oh yum Maria. I love the simplicity of this recipe.
I’m seeing these grilled corn salads all over the place right now, really need to try my hand at them
I am in love with corn lately. I feel like I need to eat it every other night until the season is over, savoring each and every bite.
I loved salads. Seems so yummy.
Look Perfect salad, i want try. thanks
Wow so delicious salad. I love salad very much. And grilled corn salad is my favorite salad.
This is a really healthy and nutritious recipe.
See More Comments