Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Candied Pecans-this beautiful and healthy salad is perfect for all of your holiday meals!
Do you have your Thanksgiving menu planned yet? We are not sure what we are doing this year. We don’t have any family coming into town and our friends all have plans, so it is just us! Josh wants to go all out and make the traditional feast for the four of us, but I am not feeling it. That is a lot of work for four people…well, really three since Maxwell can’t join us at the dinner table yet:)
The only reason I kind of want to have Thanksgiving is so I can make this Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Candied Pecans. It is SO good and the perfect Thanksgiving salad!
For the salad greens, I chopped up kale and brussels sprouts. If you claim to not like brussels sprouts, don’t turn up your nose at this salad. They add a great crunch and are so good! They aren’t the soggy, over-cooked brussels sprouts your grandma used to make:)
I top the greens with roasted butternut squash, pomegranate seeds, parmesan cheese, and candied pecans. If you don’t want to take the time to make candied pecans, you can use regular pecans, but I highly recommend using candied pecans. They are worth the extra step! And I promise my candied pecan recipe is easy.
I toss the salad together with a simple apple cider Dijon dressing. It is the perfect finishing touch!
This kale and brussels spout salad is almost too pretty to eat. It would be a shame to let such a fresh and vibrant salad go to waste, so grab a fork and have at it!
Maybe I will give in and let Josh have his big Thanksgiving feast, but only if this Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Candied Pecans is on the menu! It is my favorite and sure to be a favorite at your holiday meal too!
Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Candied Pecans
For the salad:
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeds removed, and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 small bunch Lacinato kale Dino or Tuscan kale, finely chopped
- 1 lb brussels sprouts finely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds from one large pomegranate
- 1/2 cup candied pecans
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the butternut squash on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast the squash for 25-30 minutes, stirring once, or until the squash is tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Massage the leaves for for 2-3 minutes, or until they soften and start to wilt. Stir in the chopped brussels sprouts, butternut squash, pomegranate seeds, candied pecans, and Parmesan cheese.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, and shallot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Follow us on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!