A few weeks ago, I went out to lunch with some friends. I told my guys they had to fend for themselves. Our fridge was stocked, so I wasn’t worried. I knew they could find something to eat. When I got home, my boys were finishing up their lunch. No, they didn’t order pizza…although, Josh has done that a few times:) They were eating homemade Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
Josh said he wasn’t in the mood for a sandwich, so he made a big pot of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. Caleb played with pots and pans while dad made soup for lunch! I was kind of sad I missed out on all of the fun. Oh well, mama needed a day out and the guys had a fun afternoon together.
Josh is pretty proud of this soup. Not only because he made it all by himself with Caleb at his feet, but because he says it’s the best soup he’s ever tasted. Maybe he needs a piece of humble pie, but the soup did look pretty good and Caleb loved it too! 🙂
This chicken soup has a light and refreshing lemony broth with orzo pasta, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and fresh parsley. The lemon gives the soup a fantastic flavor, along with a boost of vitamin C. This comforting chicken soup really does heal the soul. If you are feeling under the weather or just tired of the cold winter weather, make a pot of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. It is sure to hit the spot.
Josh went snowboarding the next day and as soon as he walked in the door he asked if I could heat him up a bowl of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. He couldn’t wait to enjoy another bowl of his soup! He said it tastes just as great the next day, especially after a long day on the slopes!
Josh insists you make his Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. It’s his new favorite soup and he thinks you will enjoy it too!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick
- 1 celery stalk thinly sliced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons about 1/3 cup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until orzo is tender. Add the chicken and heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Discard the bay leaf and stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm.
- Note-You can use shredded rotisserie chicken in this soup.
If you like this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, you might also like: