Easy Chicken and Rice Soup-this easy chicken and rice soup is perfect for a cold day and makes a great weeknight meal.
This Easy Chicken and Rice Soup has been on our blog from the very beginning, it is a family favorite recipe and a perfect weeknight meal.
I have learned a lot in eight years and decided it was time to update these soup photos because I keep seeing my chicken soup recipe come up in Google and on Pinterest and I cringe at the old photos. It is time for a refresher because the soup is a winner and deserves to look like soup. I will leave one of the old photos at the bottom of this post so you can see what I am talking about. Go ahead and laugh:)
The soup is full of vegetables, chicken, and rice. The fresh thyme adds great flavor too.
This Easy Chicken and Rice Soup is the soup you make when you are sick or when someone else is sick and in need of a warm bowl of comfort. It is the soup you make when you are feeling lazy, but want a hearty, homemade meal. It is the soup you make when your picky kids say they won’t eat dinner, so you make this soup and they eat a big bowl. It is the soup you make when it is cold outside and you need to warm up. It is the BEST soup recipe to have on hand because it is so easy and everyone loves it.
To keep it easy, we like to use rotisserie chicken from the store or leftover chicken. If you have leftover turkey from the holidays or a big family meal, you can use turkey instead. It works just as well. You can use wild rice or brown rice, it will just take a little longer to cook. This soup also freezes well, another reason to love it!
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup, it doesn’t get any easier than this folks! Warm up with a bowl today!
If you like this soup, you might also enjoy:
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth, we use low sodium
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, can use rotisserie chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water and bring the liquid to a boil. Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low until the rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod