Last night we went to a Dave Matthews Band concert with Dara from Cookin’ Canuck and her husband. We had a great time! It was fun to sit under the stars and listen to some good tunes. We were out past my bed time, so this post will be short and sweet! We are churning up lime ice cream today on Two Peas and Their Pod.
Josh isn’t a huge ice cream fan, but he will eat a big bowl of lime ice cream.We made this ice cream when my brother and sister in law were visiting in June. They are ice cream connoisseurs and were kind enough to make Josh a batch of his favorite ice cream. This lime ice cream is creamy, tart, and refreshing. It is the perfect summer cool down dessert. We served a scoop along side a piece of fluffly lime angel food cake. Such a divine dessert!
Summer is not over yet, so get out your ice cream maker out and get churning!
Lime Ice Cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Zest of 6 limes
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice depending on the tartness you prefer
- 1. Combine egg yolks, sugar, and zest in a medium bowl and beat together until creamy.
- 2. Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan at about medium-high heat, preferably by placing in a larger pot filled with water, as this prevents the milk mixture from boiling.
- 3. Once the milk mixture is warm, temper the egg mixture by scooping small amounts of the milk and gradually adding to the eggs, stirring with each addition.
- 4. After adding about 3 cups of the milk to the eggs, pour the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk.
- 5. Stir for about 5 minutes until thickened. The custard will visibly stick to the back of a wooden spoon.
- 6. Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- 7. Strain custard with a fine mesh strainer.
- 8. Right before churning, add lime juice and stir.
- 9. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.
If you like this lime ice cream, you might also like: