I got hit with a nasty flu bug on Saturday. I spent most of the weekend in bed. My diet consisted of ice chips and Gatorade, not fun. I am feeling a little better today, but will probably lay low and try to get my strength back. I had to get up early to write this blog post, I didn’t want you all to miss out on these orange ricotta cookies with dark chocolate. They need to be added to your Christmas cookie list today!
Chocolate and orange always reminds me of Christmas-probably because of the big chocolate orange candy we get in our stocking every year. Love those! These orange ricotta cookies are soft and cakey. After they cool, you spread each cookie with an orange glaze and drizzle them with dark chocolate. If you like orange and dark chocolate together, I have a feeling you will love these cookies. These cookies remind me of that big chocolate orange candy and that is a good thing!
If you still have time for one more Christmas cookie this year, I highly suggest you make these orange ricotta cookies with dark chocolate. I know we will be making them every year from now on.
Orange Ricotta Cookies with Dark Chocolate
- 4 dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 orange zested
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate melted
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until ingredients are combined. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and the sugar. Beat the until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, orange juice, and orange zest. Beat to combine.
4. Stir in the dry ingredients. Spoon the dough (about 1 tablespoon for each cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
5. To glaze the cookies: combine the powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. Let glaze harden for about five minutes. Drizzle cookies with dark chocolate and let the cookies set up.
If you like these Orange Ricotta Cookies with Dark Chocolate, you might also like: