We love making homemade pizza. Josh is the dough master and I take care of the sauce and toppings. I usually choose a veggie loaded pizza while Josh goes for a sausage or pepperoni pizza. This time I decided to really switch up the toppings. One of my latest pregnancy cravings is peaches. I have been eating 3-4 a day. I can’t get enough! So when Josh suggested we make pizza, I asked if I could make a Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, & Balsamic Pizza. He knows not to mess with his pregnant wife’s cravings, so he said sure:)
Our basil is going crazy this year, so I went outside and picked a handful for our pizza. I also got out four juicy peaches from my stash and sliced some fresh mozzarella. While Josh was working on the pizza dough, I made a balsamic reduction to drizzle over the pizza. We really do make a great team in the kitchen:)
After Josh rolled out the pizza dough into a circle, I stepped in to top the pizza with my delicious toppings. I lightly brushed the dough with olive oil and then added fresh mozzarella slices, peach slices, and chopped basil. Next, I drizzled the pizza with the balsamic reduction. Such a pretty pizza!
Place the pizza in a hot oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes. This recipe makes two pizzas. You can assemble the second pizza while the first pizza is baking. If you only want to make one pizza, you can save the other half of the dough for another time. The dough freezes well.
We let the pizza cool for a few minutes, sliced it, and started eating. The juicy peaches made a terrific pizza topping. I loved the sweetness the peaches and balsamic reduction added to the pizza. The fresh mozzarella and basil were also divine. The flavor combination was phenomenal! Josh was pleasantly surprised by my pizza creation. We both loved this pizza!
If you are looking for a fun, fresh, and unique pizza-try this Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, & Balsamic Pizza. It is the perfect pizza for summer!
Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, & Balsamic Pizza
- 2 pizzas
- For the pizza dough:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 3/4 cups semolina flour
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Corn meal-for spreading on pizza peel
- For the balsamic reduction:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pizza toppings:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella-sliced
- 4 peaches-thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
To make the pizza dough:
1. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine yeast and 1 cup warm water. Add a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add semolina flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Mix the ingredients until combined.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix until combined. Switch to the dough hook and knead for about 5 minutes on medium speed.
4. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Form dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover pizza dough with a damp towel and set in a warm area to rise. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
To make the balsamic reduction:
1. While the dough is rising, make the balsamic reduction. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vinegar has reduced to 1/4 cup. Set aside, and cool to room temperature.
To make the pizza:
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F or as high as your oven will go. If you have a pizza stone, place the pizza stone in the oven to get hot.
2. After the dough has risen, cut the dough in half. Take one piece of dough and punch it down on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a circle. Place the pizza on a pizza peel or pan that has been generously coated with corn meal. Lightly brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Top the dough with fresh mozzarella rounds, peach slices, and fresh basil. Drizzle the pizza with balsamic reduction. Follow these same steps to make the second pizza.
2. Place the pizza in the oven-directly on the pizza stone, if using one, or on the oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pizza crust is golden and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and bake the second pizza.
3. Let the pizza cool for a few minutes and then cut into slices and serve warm.
If you like this Peach, Basil, Mozzarella, & Balsamic Pizza, you might also like:
Pear Pizza with Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese from Sophistimom
Nectarine and Prosciutto Pizza from A Cozy Kitchen
Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza from Two Peas and Their Pod
Fruit Pizza from Two Peas and Their Pod