Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake-a simple pumpkin snack cake dotted with chocolate chips and topped with a sweet cinnamon streusel topping!
Caleb’s birthday was on Saturday and we had a great time celebrating. We went bowling, had pizza for dinner, and enjoyed lots of cake! Our friend made him a special cake for his birthday and he loved blowing out the candles. He insisted on wearing a birthday hat too:)
On Sunday, we kept the celebration going by eating more cake. I made Caleb a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake. I had leftover pumpkin in the fridge from my Pumpkin Cinnamon Cookies and I was in the mood to bake so Caleb got another cake. He didn’t NEED another cake, but there is nothing wrong with being spoiled on your birthday. We like to spread out the birthday celebrations as long as we can at our house:)
I don’t do fancy layered birthday cakes. I am horrible when it comes to decorating! I kept things simple and made one of our favorite fall cake recipes. Caleb didn’t seem to mind. He loved the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake.
The pumpkin cake is easy to whip up and you can’t go wrong with the pumpkin and chocolate chip combo! It is the best! This cake doesn’t get frosted because it has a streusel topping instead, which is better than frosting if you ask me:)
The pumpkin cake is super moist with lots of chocolate and a sweet streusel topping. I am not stingy with the chocolate chips. They are inside the cake and on top!
If you are a pumpkin chocolate chip fan, you have to make this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake. It is the perfect fall dessert! You can make it for a celebration or just because you want to eat cake. I mean, come on, who needs a reason to eat cake? Especially when the cake is this easy! Get baking and enjoy a slice today!
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Check out these MUST make pumpkin recipes!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Streusel Cake
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 55 minutes
- 16 servings
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the streusel:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Add the pumpkin puree. Reduce speed to low, and mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- To make the streusel, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add in the butter, using 2 table knives or your hands, and cut into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the top of the cake. Next, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the cake.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the sides pull away from the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Place cake on a wire rack and cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.