We are continuing our red, white, and blue week with Red, White & Blue Funfetti Sandwich Cookies. You might remember the Funfetti Cookies I recently made. If you’ve tried them, you know they are awesome! Well, I kicked them up a notch for the 4th of July by creating a sandwich cookie. Yep, you get two cookies with a vanilla buttercream in the center. You have to go all out on holidays!
I found the red, white, and blue sprinkles at Michael’s in the 4th of July section. I love the tiny little stars. I made the cookies smaller this time…don’t worry you are getting two cookies:) I made a classic vanilla buttercream and colored the frosting bright blue. Feel free to make red frosting or just leave it white. I personally like the blue. And the kids love it too! And you will know who ate a cookie:) Blue mouths are appropriate on the 4th of July! We have to show our colors:)
These Funfetti Sandwich Cookies are soft, sweet, and patriotic! They are the perfect dessert for watching fireworks. Grab a blanket, a cookie, and enjoy the show!
I promise these Red, White & Blue Funfetti Sandwich Cookies will be a hit at your 4th of July party!
Red, White & Blue Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and egg. Beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix on low speed until ingredients are combined. Gently mix in the sprinkles. Don't over mix or the sprinkles will bleed into the dough.
- Form cookie dough into small balls, about a teaspoon in size. Place cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown around the edges. The cookies will harden as the cool, so don't over bake.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- While the cookies are cooking, make the buttercream frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until nice and smooth, using the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Once sugar is fully incorporated turn the mixer up to medium speed and add in the salt and vanilla extract. Add the heavy cream and mix for 3 minutes or until frosting is smooth. Check the consistency of the frosting, if it is to loose, add more powdered sugar. If it is too stiff, add a little more cream. Mix in food coloring and beat until you have your desired color.
- To make the sandwich cookies, pipe (using a pastry bag or plastic bag) small dollops of frosting on a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top. Store cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- Note-I found Red, White & Blue sprinkles at Michael's. You can mix up the color of sprinkles and frosting to match any holiday or event.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like these Red, White & Blue Funfetti Sandwich Cookies, you might also like: