Rhubarb Berry Crisp-tart rhubarb paired with blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and topped with a sweet oat topping. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special dessert!
Josh and I got home from Hawaii yesterday. We had an amazing vacation, but there is no place like home. We missed our sweet Caleb like mad. It was hard being away from him, but we knew he was in good hands. He had a blast with papa and I am sure he didn’t miss us as much as we missed him. Today we are going to snuggle and spoil our little pea! He is going to get sick of me smothering him with smooches all day! And don’t worry, we will be posting about our Hawaii trip soon!
Before I left for Hawaii, I made Rhubarb Berry Crisp. I knew I wouldn’t want to spend the day in the kitchen after our trip, so I planned ahead. I wanted to make sure I had a tasty recipe ready for you guys. So you can make Rhubarb Berry Crisp today while I spend the day playing with Caleb. And if you want to drop some crisp by our house, I won’t turn you away. I love this crisp recipe and I am ready for round 2!
Our rhubarb plant was growing like a weed and begging me to make something. I was contemplating Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast or Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, but I didn’t have any strawberries. So, I opted for a Rhubarb Berry Crisp. I used frozen berries that we had in the freezer and created a delicious dessert!
I always have a bag of frozen berries on hand. We buy the big bag from Costco that has blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I chopped up my fresh rhubarb and added frozen berries to the mix! You don’t even have to thaw them! Easy peasy!
Crisp desserts are one of my all-time favorite desserts. You can’t beat fruit that is smothered in a sweet oat topping!
Oh, wait, you can beat that if you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I love the tart rhubarb with the sweet berries, oat topping, and melting vanilla ice cream! Dessert heaven!
Treat yourself to Rhubarb Berry Crisp! It is a great dessert for summertime! Enjoy!
Rhubarb Berry Crisp
For the rhubarb berry filling:
For the crisp topping:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 7 (6 oz) ramekins with cooking spray and place on a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- First, make the filling. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb and berries. In a small bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. Add the sugar mixture to the rhubarb and berries. Add the orange juice, vanilla, and cornstarch. Stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, salt, and melted butter. Stir until mixture is moistened.
- Spoon rhubarb and berry mixture into prepared ramekins, about ¾ full. Crumble oat topping over the rhubarb and berries evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping is browned and rhubarb berry mixture is bubbling. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Note-you can make this crisp in a 9-inch baking dish or deep dish pie plate instead of ramekins. If you are making the recipe gluten-free make sure you use gluten-free oats and flour. If you have fresh berries, you can use them instead of frozen berries.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod