Our four rhubarb plants are ripe and ready. I can’t keep up. I have this problem every year. I’ve already made Apple Rhubarb Bread and Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, two of my favorite rhubarb recipes. I also made Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast for breakfast and it was magically delicious.
I love making baked French toast because you can prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning. It also makes the house smell amazing! It is perfect for serving a crowd too. The strawberries and rhubarb make this baked French toast extra special. I love the sweet and tart combo. The cinnamon streusel topping makes the French toast more of a dessert, but I’m ok with eating dessert for breakfast every once in awhile:)
Splurge this weekend and make this Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast. Mother’s Day is on Sunday and this would be a great addition to your Mother’s Day brunch menu.
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast
For the French Toast:
- 1 loaf French Bread
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter cut into pieces
- Maple syrup-for serving
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Tear French bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly place in the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs and milk. In a small bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until fragrant. Add sugar mixture to the eggs and milk. Add in vanilla extract and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Pour evenly over bread. Combine strawberries and rhubarb together in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over French toast. Take a spoon and poke the strawberries and rhubarb down into the bread. Cover the pan with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter pieces and cut into the dry mixture using a fork or your hands. Combine until the mixture resembles sand with a few pea sized chunks. Cover and store mixture in the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to bake the French toast, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove French toast from refrigerator and sprinkle crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the French toast is set and golden brown.
- Serve warm with maple syrup.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
If you like this Strawberry Rhubarb Baked French Toast, you might also like: