Are you surviving the holidays on a sugar high? Well, today we are taking a sugar break. We are sharing a healthy recipe for Roasted Apple, Pear and Parsnip Soup. This soup was created by Chef Jenn Louis for Harry & David’s Seasonal Chef Program, a program featuring seasonally inspired recipes that showcase Harry & David’s fruit. Chef Louis used Harry & David’s fabulous Honeycrisp Apples and Royal Riviera® Pears to make a simple and delicious soup.
We are part of Harry & David’s Fruit of the Month Club. It’s a cool club to be in. Every month we receive fresh, beautiful, and delicious fruit at our doorstep. The fruit is always perfect. We look forward to our shipment every month. Look at how beautiful the Honeycrisp apples are.
Harry & David’s famous Royal Riviera® Pears are just as lovely. When we visited Harry & David in Oregon, we got to walk through the pear orchards. It was so much fun and we fell in love with their pears. They are the best in the world. I can’t eat any other pear now.
You really can’t go wrong with any of their fruit and that is why you should join Fruit of the Month Club. Or better yet, give the Fruit of the Month Club as a gift. It is the season for giving! The Fruit of the Month Club is perfect for everyone on your list.
Now, that we’ve discussed how fabulous the apples and pears are, let’s talk about the soup. It’s fabulous as well. The soup is full of flavor, thanks to the roasted apple, pear, and parsnips. The soup also has leeks, olive oil, rosemary, and a touch of creme fraiche. I told you the soup was full of flavor! The soup is smooth, creamy and so good on a cold winter’s day. We all loved it, including Caleb. He clapped his hands together after each bite.
Warm up with a bowl of Roasted Apple, Pear, and Parsnip Soup this winter. Thanks Chef Louis for sharing your recipe. To get the latest recipes from Harry and David’s Seasonal Chef Program, follow Harry and David on Facebook.
And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a Harry & David Gift Basket. It is filled with Harry & David’s finest products-pears, Moose Munch, Chocolate Cherries, truffles, and more! Today is the last day to enter! Good luck!
Roasted Apple, Pear & Parsnip Soup
A simple and delicious soup made with roasted apple, pear, and parsnips.
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- 1 Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple peeled, cored and seeded
- 1 Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear peeled, cored and seeded
- 2 lbs. parsnips peeled and cut in to 1⁄2” pieces
- 2 leeks white part only cut into 1⁄2 moons, 1⁄2” wide
- 1 ⁄2 cup olive oil plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2 inch sprig rosemary
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 ⁄2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, no convection. Toss Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple, Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear and parsnips with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Spread out on a sheet tray and roast until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2. In a medium pot, combine leeks, olive oil, rosemary and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat to sweat, not color, leeks. This should take 10 minutes. If leeks start to brown, turn heat to low. Add Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple, Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear and leeks. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer.
- 3. Remove bay leaf and rosemary stem. Transfer to blender and puree in batches. ***Do not cover blender completely, hot liquid will explode! Add crème fraiche to each batch, combining all batches in a large container to mix when complete. Season with salt and thin with water as needed. Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar as needed to balance flavor. Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
Disclosure-We partnered with our friends from Harry & David to provide you with this soup recipe. Of course, all of our opinions are our own. We love Harry & David and their products.