Are you surviving the holidays on a sugar high? Well, today we are taking a sugar break. We are sharing a healthy recipe for Roasted Apple, Pear and Parsnip Soup. This soup was created by Chef Jenn Louis for Harry & David’s Seasonal Chef Program, a program featuring seasonally inspired recipes that showcase Harry & David’s fruit. Chef Louis used Harry & David’s fabulous Honeycrisp Apples and Royal Riviera® Pears to make a simple and delicious soup.
We are part of Harry & David’s Fruit of the Month Club. It’s a cool club to be in. Every month we receive fresh, beautiful, and delicious fruit at our doorstep. The fruit is always perfect. We look forward to our shipment every month. Look at how beautiful the Honeycrisp apples are.
Harry & David’s famous Royal Riviera® Pears are just as lovely. When we visited Harry & David in Oregon, we got to walk through the pear orchards. It was so much fun and we fell in love with their pears. They are the best in the world. I can’t eat any other pear now.
You really can’t go wrong with any of their fruit and that is why you should join Fruit of the Month Club. Or better yet, give the Fruit of the Month Club as a gift. It is the season for giving! The Fruit of the Month Club is perfect for everyone on your list.
Now, that we’ve discussed how fabulous the apples and pears are, let’s talk about the soup. It’s fabulous as well. The soup is full of flavor, thanks to the roasted apple, pear, and parsnips. The soup also has leeks, olive oil, rosemary, and a touch of creme fraiche. I told you the soup was full of flavor! The soup is smooth, creamy and so good on a cold winter’s day. We all loved it, including Caleb. He clapped his hands together after each bite.
Warm up with a bowl of Roasted Apple, Pear, and Parsnip Soup this winter. Thanks Chef Louis for sharing your recipe. To get the latest recipes from Harry and David’s Seasonal Chef Program, follow Harry and David on Facebook.
And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a Harry & David Gift Basket. It is filled with Harry & David’s finest products-pears, Moose Munch, Chocolate Cherries, truffles, and more! Today is the last day to enter! Good luck!
Roasted Apple, Pear & Parsnip Soup
- 1 Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple peeled, cored and seeded
- 1 Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear peeled, cored and seeded
- 2 lbs. parsnips peeled and cut in to 1⁄2” pieces
- 2 leeks white part only cut into 1⁄2 moons, 1⁄2” wide
- 1 ⁄2 cup olive oil plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2 inch sprig rosemary
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 ⁄2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, no convection. Toss Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple, Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear and parsnips with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Spread out on a sheet tray and roast until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2. In a medium pot, combine leeks, olive oil, rosemary and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat to sweat, not color, leeks. This should take 10 minutes. If leeks start to brown, turn heat to low. Add Harry & David Honeycrisp Apple, Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear and leeks. Add water to cover and bring to a simmer.
- 3. Remove bay leaf and rosemary stem. Transfer to blender and puree in batches. ***Do not cover blender completely, hot liquid will explode! Add crème fraiche to each batch, combining all batches in a large container to mix when complete. Season with salt and thin with water as needed. Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar as needed to balance flavor. Ladle into bowls and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Disclosure-We partnered with our friends from Harry & David to provide you with this soup recipe. Of course, all of our opinions are our own. We love Harry & David and their products.
What an interesting flavor combo!! Sounds like a fantastic soup. Harry and david has the most beautiful fruit
Oh my what a wonderful flavor combination here! The soup looks so hearty and comforting!!
yum! loving the flavor combos!
What a think and warm soup, it’s making my tummy toasty just thinking about it 🙂
This looks great Maria! So flavorful I bet!
I had such trouble cooking with these gorgeous apples and pears… but if you’re gonna do it, I think soup is a wonderful preparation.
Looks delicious, and yes they are beautiful!
Now that’s a club I want to join!
I love the sound of this, Maria!
I would just love this soup for lunch today!
Love the combo of flavors here!
A sugar break is definitely something I could use right now! I’m loving the sound of this super healthful soup!
love the photos! the touch of crème fraiche is so good.
Perfect rainy day soup!
Love the addition of rosemary! What a perfect winter soup 🙂
This is so creative!!! I have been loving parsnips lately, and need to try them in soup!
My husband and I are both parsnip fanatics it must be the Eastern European in us. But I do replace carrots in most soups and stews with parsnips because we love them so much.
Love this comforting soup!
Beautiful post, Maria. The soup is so different, I love the combination. My family would love this!
This looks delicious! I love creamy fruit soups. Definitely going to make this soon!
This soup looks yum. I agree about the Harry and David pears. They are THE BEST! My family have been eating them for years! Glad you are converted! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Thank you for all your delicious recipes and your generosity with giveaways throughout the year. Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to you and yours.
Love the flavors in this soup, Maria! It looks so delicious and cozy, perfect for an easy weeknight meal or holiday dinner table. Thanks for sharing.
Love this. So creative and I’m sure my girls would love it! I love apples in soup. mmm
What a lovely soup! I bet your little one loved it!
I don’t think I’ve ever tried a parsnip! This soup makes me want to change that fact.
I must say this is an exciting soup recipe. I must try this one soon! Glad you shared it!