Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese
Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese Sandwich-the best way to eat your broccoli!
It’s a cheesy week on Two Peas and Their Pod! On Monday, we shared a sweet grilled cheese recipe, Pumpkin, Chocolate, and Brie Grilled Cheese. Today we are sharing a savory grilled cheese sandwich, Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese. Fasten your seat belts and get ready for a cheesy ride!
This recipe comes from the cookbook, Bountiful, written and photographed by our dear friends Todd Porter and Diane Cu (White on Rice Couple). The cookbook is more than just a book. It is a work of art and a labor of love. The book is filled with 100 recipes inspired from Todd and Diane’s amazing garden. The recipes are fresh, seasonal and simple. We’ve already bookmarked just about every recipe…and Caleb keeps trying to eat the galette on the cover. I guess we better make that recipe next!
When I saw Todd and Diane’s recipe for a Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese in their new book, Bountiful, I knew I had to make them for my guys. Caleb asks for grilled cheese sandwiches on a regular basis…and so does Josh. I always try to make a salad or vegetable to go on the side, but I don’t have to with this grilled cheese. Putting veggies inside of the sandwich is genius!
Roasted broccoli is so simple to make and brings out the best in broccoli. I could easily eat an entire pan by myself, but I refrained so I could make our sandwiches.
You can’t go wrong with the broccoli and cheddar combination. It is a classic! Grilled buttered bread, melted cheese, and crisp roasted broccoli-now that’s a sandwich! My guys didn’t even complain about eating their veggies!
Next time you are in the mood for a grilled cheese sandwich, give this Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese a try! It’s great for lunch or dinner!
Roasted Broccoli and Grilled Cheese Melt
Grilled cheese with roasted broccoli-the best way to eat broccoli! This easy sandwich is great for lunch or dinner!
Yield: 3-4 sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Florets from 1 medium head broccoli (about 1/2 pound), chopped small
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Unsalted butter, softened
- 6 to 8 slices bread
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a sheet pan, mix the broccoli, oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is evenly roasted but not burnt. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread. Dividing the ingredients evenly, layer cheese on the unbuttered side of half of the bread slices, then add chopped broccoli in the middle and more cheese on top so that the broccoli lies between two layers of cheese. This keeps the small pieces of broccoli from falling out as the cheese melts. Top each with another slice of bread, butter side out.
- “Grill” in the skillet, turning sandwiches over once, until the cheese melts and the bread is evenly toasted.
Note-for gluten-free use gluten-free bread.
Follow twopeasandpod on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod! We want to see what you are making in your kitchen!