Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwiches with Tzatziki Sauce-a quick and easy healthy lunch or dinner!
Our garden is still going strong which means our meals are veggie strong! Well, our meals are always veggie strong, but the veggies taste better when they are hand picked from our garden. Caleb loves running out to the garden to pick vegetables. We try to help him pick the ripe vegetables, but sometimes he gets a little too excited and picks green tomatoes or tiny peppers. Oops! He is slowly learning.
We have been using our garden veggies to make Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwiches. They are great for a healthy lunch or dinner.
The beauty of this Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich is the flexibility. Look in your garden or vegetable drawer and use whatever veggies you have on hand. We used onion, zucchini, red peppers, and mushrooms this time around.
We tossed the vegetables with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and roasted them in the oven. So easy and so good!
We also add feta cheese and our favorite tzatziki sauce to the sandwiches. Don’t skip the tzatziki. I promise it is easy to make and it really makes the sandwich.
There are a couple of ways you can eat a Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich. You can fold the pita in half and go in for a big bite. Or you can stuff the pita pocket with the roasted veggies, feta, and tzatziki sauce. You can also top a whole wheat pita with lettuce, veggies, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce and eat it like a pizza. I guess it would be called a pizza then, but oh well. It’s an option.
This Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich is good however you decide to eat it! Enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwich
- 2 small zucchini sliced
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Tzatziki Sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place vegetables on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat pitas and either slice them open and stuff them with lettuce, roasted veggies, feta cheese, and tzatziki or place everything on top of the pita and eat!
- Note-feel free to use your favorite veggies!
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod