Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles-sweet and spicy Italian sausage with peppers, onions, and zucchini noodles in a simple garlic tomato sauce.
Zucchini season has been giving our Inspiralizer a workout! We have been inspiralizing up a storm! I love using our inspiralizer because it gets our boys to eat their veggies. They love watching veggies turn into magical noodles. We have been making our favorite 5-Ingredient Spinach Parmesan Zucchini Noodles and Zucchini Noodles with Pesto on a regular basis. My boys, Josh included, are also loving Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles, a recipe from Inspiralize Everything, Ali’s new cookbook.
Inspiralize Everything is divided by vegetable, A-to-Z, apples-to-zucchini. There are so many fun recipes and we can’t wait to try them all, but my boys are hooked on this Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles dish for now. They love it!
The dish has spirliazed zucchini, peppers, and onions. Yes, you can spiralize onions. How fun!
Ali’s recipe calls for sweet and spicy sausage, but I use mild sausage for the boys. They can’t handle the heat yet:) The garlic tomato sauce gives the dish loads of flavor. My boys like to dip bread into the sauce and slurp their zucchini noodles. I don’t think they know they are eating peppers and I am not going to tell them:) That is the joy of the inspiralizer, it makes veggies fun to eat!
Get out your Inspiralizer and make Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles for dinner. It is sure to be a hit! And make sure you check out Inspiralize Everything, you will want to inspirlize ALL the things!
Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet fennel Italian sausage links
- 2 spicy Italian sausage links
- 2 medium yellow onions peeled, spiralized with blade a, noodles trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper spiralized with blade a, noodles trimmed
- 1 orange bell pepper spiralized with blade a, noodles trimmed
- 1½ tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh curly parsley
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized with blade d,noodles trimmed
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the sausages and cover the pan. Cook for about 7 minutes or until just browned on the bottom. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes more, turning, until browned on the outside but not yet cooked through. Using tongs, transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Immediately add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the onion noodles, and the bell pepper noodles to the same skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Add the tomato paste, and stir to cook the vegetables. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return the sausage to the pan and add the oregano and broth. Season with salt and black pepper. Cover the skillet and simmer until the sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the sauce has reduced by a quarter, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the parsley.
- Transfer to a large serving platter or bowl and add the zucchini noodles. Toss thoroughly until the noodles begin to wilt and are fully incorporated. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod