Shaved Asparagus Salad- This shaved asparagus salad with arugula, pistachios, Parmesan cheese, avocado, and a homemade lemon salad dressing is a springtime favorite! Serve along side any meal!
Shaved Asparagus Arugula Salad
Every spring when asparagus comes into season I get SO excited. I love the bold, earthy flavor that asparagus brings into any meal! It is one of my favorite vegetables.
This Shaved Asparagus Arugula Salad combines some of my favorite springtime foods. It’s a bright and delicious side dish or makes a tasty lunch. I seriously could eat this salad every single day. It is so fresh and delicious! I guarantee it will be a springtime favorite!
I love the flavor combinations in this simple salad. The salad is a gorgeous green color with the perfect mix of textures and flavors. To make this salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- Asparagus– The star of the salad!
- Arugula– I love adding arugula to bulk up the salad and the peppery kick is nice! If you don’t like arugula, you could use spinach.
- Avocado – Peel, pit, and chop it right before assembling the salad.
- Parmesan – Go for the good stuff. I promise you’ll taste a difference! Feta would also be good!
- Pistachios – I love that nutty crunch! You could also use almonds, pecans, pine nuts, or walnuts.
- Simple Lemon Dressing– The salad dressing only takes a few minutes to whisk up!
How to Shave Asparagus
Shaving asparagus is easy and it makes the salad extra special and elegant. Plus, it makes raw asparagus silky and soft, making it perfect for eating in a salad.
When you are picking out your asparagus for the salad, look for bigger, thicker spears because they will be easier to peel. If you can only find skinny asparagus spears, you can still use them, they will just be a little harder to shave and the ribbons won’t be as pretty, but still good:)
First, trim off the woody ends of the asparagus (that’s the lighter end). You can use a knife or snap them off.
To shave the asparagus, you need a vegetable peeler. I like to use this peeler. Hold an asparagus spear with one hand and use a vegetable peeler to slice away from your hand, starting at the bottom end. Shave into ribbons. If you need to place the asparagus spear on a cutting board for stability, you can.
Continue shaving all of the asparagus spears. Don’t worry if some of the tips fall off. Save them and add them with the ribbons. You don’t want to waste any of the asparagus.
Simple Lemon Dressing
Salad dressing is SO EASY to make at home and SO much better than store bought. This light and refreshing lemon dressing is the perfect finish to the shaved asparagus salad.
In a bowl, whisk together the following ingredients.
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Set it aside until you’re ready to drizzle it over the prepared salad. Any unused dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week!
Assembling the Salad
Place the shaved asparagus in a large bowl. Add the arugula and toss together. Add the avocado, shaved Parmesan cheese, and pistachios. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and gently toss. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the salad immediately.
This salad is best the day it is made. If you want to prep the salad in advance, you can shave the asparagus and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. You can also make the dressing in advance. Don’t cut the avocado until you are ready to assemble and serve the salad.
More Asparagus Recipes:
- Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon, Feta, and Pistachios
- Simple Sesame Asparagus
- Asparagus Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Asparagus Spinach and Feta Quiche
- Perfect Spring Salad
Shaved Asparagus Salad
For the Dressing:
For the Salad:
- 1 lb large asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 3 oz fresh arugula
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- First, make the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus. Lay an asparagus spear flat on a cutting board. Starting at the bottom end, use the peeler to shave it into long thin strips or ribbons. Place the asparagus shavings in a large bowl and repeat with remaining asparagus.
- Add the arugula to the bowl. Toss the shaved asparagus and arugula together. Add the avocado, shaved Parmesan cheese, and pistachios. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad and gently toss. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve the salad immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.